3.26.2015

The High Pony



When it comes to hair, I usually just wear it down. It’s easy, at least for my hair type, and I usually don’t have bad hair days. However, sometimes wearing it down every single day can get really boring and even make your overall style dull. It’s nice to change things once in a while, and that’s what I decided to do today. Usually, if I don’t wear it down, I only pull half of my hair into a pony-tail or messy bun. Today, I did something I never do -- I mastered the “high pony”. This style is hardly done anymore because it could look “childish” or bring back harsh memories from the ‘80s. But sometimes, it really can work in a messy, lazy but put-together, way. The key to making the high pony look decent is to make it look unkempt with a lot of volume -- add texture to your hair with texture spray, sleep on wet hair, do anything to make your hair not completely smooth and straight (if that’s what your hair is like naturally). Then, I know this may be going over the top with tacky accessories, but add a scrunchie! Some scrunchies, like the floral one I’m wearing today, is more minimal and actually has a design that’s not tacky. Never go for the huge neon scrunchies unless you want to look like you just stepped out of the “Let’s Get Physical” music video. Also, the scrunchie can make a dull pony way more interesting and add a cute accent to a style that is pretty hard to pull off. Finally, make the look more natural by pulling out a few strands from the front of your face (the ones that are shorter than the rest of your hair). This makes the style less polished but also adds more femininity so you don’t look bald from different angles. One of the biggest tips with this style is to be heavier on the makeup than you usually are (if you’re usually light with it). Hair pulled back can lose a lot of femininity in the face, and just those few strands framing your face really won’t do much. I applied winged-eyeliner to do the trick, and other methods could be to wear a bold lip color or even a colored eyeliner, like blue or purple. This hair style may seem less flattering on some, but if done right, it can make a simple outfit more interesting and add diversity to your hair styles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment