3.17.2015

Trend of the Week: Colored Shorts



(top -- Topshop; shorts -- American Threads)
Trend of the week: Colored Shorts
 With spring coming, shorts are a necessity in everyone’s wardrobes. At times, wearing denim shorts all the time can get boring. Cut-offs that aren’t denim could turn an outfit into a preppy disaster or its opposite -- a cool style that brings a balance of a bright color and edge. A few years back, I would only wear the colored chino shorts from J. Crew, which are definitely cute, but I always wore them with items that just created a tacky mess of too many colors. After a few years of wearing them, I’ve finally found a way to wear these colored shorts and actually make a fashionable outfit. First off, there are a few tips when finding shorts like these -- find a color that works well with your skin tone, steer clear of saturated hues (bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, etc. The only exception to this is a bright blue), and make sure there’s no tacky repeated animal stitching on them, unless you’re trying to achieve a southern-prep look (if you are, my blog will definitely not help you). A coral/peach color is probably the most complementary color that goes with my skin and hair color, so I found a loose high-waisted pair from American Threads. The clothes you wear with the shorts are almost as important than the shorts themselves, so make sure to wear either neutral items or colors that truly match the shorts. I’m all for not listening to the “matching rules”, but these rules are fairly important in times like this. With colored shorts, a simple matching mistake can create a fashion disaster. Also, the shorts can already give off a slight preppy vibe, so if you want to not go any further, try to find items that are the opposite of “preppy”. I did this by wearing my black, jeweled crop top from Topshop (that only gives off edgy vibes) and by tying my chambray top around my waist to match with the peach tone of the shorts but to also add more edge to the look. My closet is definitely mostly full of neutrals, but at times, wearing bright colors is sometimes necessary, especially in the spring time. It is possible to add bright colors to your outfits without going overboard, you just need to find a balance and know your limits with color schemes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment