3.02.2015

Trend of the Week: The A-line Skirt







(top -- Urban Outfitters; skirt -- Asos; jacket -- Ralph Lauren)

Most of the skirts I happen to wear are full/circle or midi because both of the styles are flattering on almost anyone. However, in recent trends, the basic shapes seen in the '70s or '90s are making a comeback, and they can be flattering on almost anyone, even if Cosmo tells you otherwise. The items found in this trend are basic shift dresses, simple-lined sweaters, and of course, the a-line skirt. That does not mean those obnoxious body-con skirts that 13-year-olds try to pull off or that only 1% of the adult population can really look good in. The a-line skirt is the looser, straighter, and definitely more fashionable version of it. These skirts have seemed to be always in style, but with this spring, the trend is taking a turn and making a tribute to the golden age. Recently, it has been paired with tight ribbed sweaters, over-the-shoulder blouses, and even cropped halters to revisit the '90s, but not in the unfashionable way. The simple shape can look good with almost anything, whether it's '70s/'90s themed or not. The skirt I recently invested in is amazing -- it's velvet. It's obvious that velvet only brings back more '90s vibes, so I decided to tone the theme down by pairing it with my striped boat-neck top and gold necklace. Finally, with the warmer weather, I didn't have to wear tights, so I just added my grey thigh highs to complete the look. To make a final statement to the '90s, I wore my Ralph Lauren bomber, even if it was more on the grungey side compared to the velvet skirt. These skirts are so simple and comfortable, and they don't show off every curve, but they still give you a flattering figure. A-line skirts are one of the most versatile clothing items (next to the shift dress), and I'm extremely happy that they're coming back in a new light in this year's fashion trends. 


No comments:

Post a Comment