3.30.2015

Trend of the Week: Denim (NOT jeans!) Part I





(skirt -- Asos; top -- Asos; jacket -- goodwill)


This week, I'm having a two day trend special. Today I used alternative styles of denim in the form of a jacket, and tomorrow, it will be with a skirt (more details with that look on tomorrow's post!). I decided that because I love denim so much, I had to dedicate two days to this lovely trend. First -- the denim jacket. It's so strange bringing this style back because I remember wearing it all the time in 2nd grade, but it is definitely acceptable now in this fashion age of a resurgence of 90's/early 2000's trends. This jacket actually isn't mine; it's my sister's that she let me borrow today. I haven't yet invested in one for myself because I was scared I would never wear it, but after today, I could wear this jacket with literally anything. This one came from goodwill that already has a few patches sewn onto it, and my sister put a few band pins (like Vampire Weekend and Arcade Fire) on the chest pockets to personalize it. Personally, I would like to get a nicer one for myself, specifically the one from Madewell, that actually fits my body type, but the one I wore still worked -- it had a boyfriend jean kind of fit, just for my upper body. The biggest reason people don't wear these jackets anymore is that they seem to be tacky. However, it is possible to pull off the jean jacket look without looking like either a tacky 90's mom or a typical 1975 fan (I apologize to the people that actually like that band, but you do have to admit that the hardcore fans have a certain look that just doesn't work). For me, I wanted to pull off an edgy look without going over the top, so I wore my velvet mini skirt from Asos paired with my striped crop tee also from Asos. Instead of looking like an obnoxious groupie, I gave off cool 90's-girl vibes without looking like I just stepped out of My So Called Life (although I must admit that that show does have an awesome style, but that's beside the point). The jean jacket was the perfect accessory to make the simple skirt-and-top outfit way more appealing, and it's light nature was perfect for the slight breeze we had today. Depending on how it's worn, the denim jacket can give off tons of different styles. It can be paired with black denim for a grungey, badass look, or it can be layered on top of a sundress for a breezy summer day. I'll be sure to invest in an actual one that I can call my own so I can try out all the looks that are possible with this versatile item.
As for my beauty today, I added a few loose waves to my already naturally wavy hair to create a messier look. My new, bright blonde hair already works so well with this outfit, so I felt like I didn't have to do much with my hair. To accentuate the outfit and my new hair, I applied Eyeko liquid pen eyeliner to create a thick, winged shape, and I wore a lipstick by Revlon in a wine shade. The bold colors and accents in my hair and face made the outfit ten times cooler. Also, ever since I dyed my hair, I'll probably be wearing bold lipstick everyday because bright lips look so much better with a brighter hair color. 



No comments:

Post a Comment