3.24.2015

Trend of the Week: Spring Layers






(collared top -- Urban Outfitters; sweater -- Madewell; boots -- Steve Madden)

With spring (usually) comes warm weather, and it may seem impossible to find unique and varying outfits when there are not many things to experiment with due to the higher temperatures. However, layering is not just a fall/winter trend. It seems like a method to only keep warm, but during the warmer months, it can be used to create more interesting outfits with a less abundant wardrobe. Because I have not had the chance to go spring/summer shopping yet, I decided to find a few items that I have owned for a while and create a layered outfit that can actually work in the springtime. The collared shirt/tunic I’m wearing today used to be dress length on me, so in my freshman year of high school, I would just wear a white slip and the “dress” over it. Now, the piece has magically shrunken (either I grew a lot or the shirt shrunk in the wash), and I haven’t even touched this item in two years because I didn’t know how to wear it. A few days ago, I realized it would be possible with the help of beige shorts I own from Loft that I barely wear anymore. The shorts, although the top almost covers them (I bet you didn’t even know I was wearing shorts), makes the outfit more acceptable but also creates a more unique look that already adds a base layer to the layer-centric outfit. And because it’s still a decent temperature (about low 70s), I was still able to wear a sweater over the top to add a final layer to the outfit. The collar and drapey style of the top gives a simple shorts-and-sweater outfit way more style and character. As you all should know by now, layering is my favorite thing to do with creating outfits, and this look proves that it’s possible in the spring. The only “requirements” for a spring layered look are: the layers need to be light, avoid complete coverage of skin (in this case, the legs), and go for pieces that will give the outfit movement (like my collared top). With these three things in mind, I promise that you’ll enter spring with brand new and fashionable outfits that will look completely unique, even if they involve clothes that you constantly wear. 

In regards to the beauty portion of this look, I opted for a more natural look with a touch of bright lips. Although my hair looks completely natural, I had to add a few products to give it a beachy, natural vibe. What I did to achieve this look was to sleep on wet hair after I showered, and when I woke up, I took a few strands in the front and created waves by flat-ironing it in an "s" shape, but not as drastic as what my hairstylist did on friday. Then, I sprayed Alterna Stylist Ocean Waves spray through my roots and ends, which created a messy, effortless look that emphasized the waves. Finally, I scrunched Aveda Control Paste through my ends to hold the waves but to also add more texture to my hair (as you can tell, creating effortless hair really is not effortless). As for my makeup, I just  brushed on some YDK and Verve eyeshadow from my Naked 2 Palette, used an eyeliner brush to apply black eyeshadow on my waterline (just a minimal amount to make my eyes more noticeable), and I added a few layers of Covergirl's Clump Crusher mascara to make my eyelashes noticeable but also natural. Finally, for the most important part, I wore Nars Heat Wave matte lipstick to add emphasis to a natural face and a neutral-toned outfit. 

I usually never talk about my hair/makeup, but I decided to do it for this post. Tell me what you think about me also talking about beauty (next to fashion, always), and I might start making it a consistent thing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment