3.31.2015

Trend of the Week: Denim (NOT jeans!) Part II









(sweater -- Urban Outfitters; skirt -- Topshop; sandals -- Topshop)

As I said yesterday, this week’s “trend of the week” comes in two parts. Denim that comes in different forms other than jeans is such a huge trend right now that I had to dedicate this style to two days. Yesterday was the jacket, and today it’s the skirt. While the denim skirt is usually seen in the form of a mini, other styles do exist, like the one I’m wearing today. The material may not be actual denim, but it definitely gives off the look of denim (like a chambray shirt), and the lighter, more flexible material makes the midi looser and more shapeless. This style can also be seen as extremely tacky along with the jean jacket. However, denim skirts can create super cool looks if worn with the right tops and shoes. With this skirt, it can create an outfit that a grandma would wear if not done properly. That’s literally what someone told me when I bought the skirt, but I knew right when I tried it on that I would make it work. The fact that it’s both a longer skirt and it’s made of a denim-like material only gives off old, hippie vibes, so choosing a top and shoes is the most important part in this process. The top must be tighter and have more edge than the skirt. I chose my simple, white mesh sweater that can be tied at the waist really easily (anything tucked into this skirt just looks bad), and I accessorized with my favorite gold necklace. The white in the top worked perfectly with the lace accents at the hem of the skirt. For the shoes, again, they have to be fashionable, edgy, and work with the length of the skirt. I chose chunky sandals for this outfit, but low boots, like my cutout ones, would work on a chillier day. With this skirt, or any denim skirt, it’s crucial to put the most thought into the items being worn with the skirt. By doing this, it can create an extremely fashionable and trendy outfit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment