6.29.2015

Light Wash Denim



From the clothes I've been wearing for the past year, it's obvious that I have a thing for light wash denim. Almost every pair of jeans I own (except one) is lighter than the average pair of blue jeans, and I didn't really realize this until I noticed that I only own a few denim things that come in a darker shade. Maybe it's that I simply like the color more, or that it's extremely versatile and can be matched with almost anything. No matter what the reason, light wash is definitely coming back in style. We might remember seeing the cringeworthy mom jeans from the '90s that were always in a lighter shade, so this resurgence may not bring excitement to our new wardrobes. However, it definitely should. If we look past that dark time, we would see a more unique way of handling the universal fabric. Instead of going for the average, medium blue tint, designers and manufacturers are finding the edgy way to make denim more interesting -- making clothes out of lighter, almost pale, denim. These washes may be even lighter than the ones we saw in the '90s, so fashion history is basically being made. What I like about this wash is that at times, it may not even look like blue denim because it is so light, but it still gives off the familiar feel we all love from the popular material. With this new style coming out, it may seem impossible to fulfill your fashion needs while also dressing for the weather. This brings me to my next favorite fashion resurgence -- the denim skirt. I did make a post about the denim skirt a few months ago, but that skirt was made of a chambray-like material, not the stiff denim we find in jeans. Recently, it has been okay to bring back the a-line denim skirt that was a hit in the '90s. This news made me get up and go out to American Apparel (the store with the best basics and definitely the best denim) to go find one. I wanted to go with something different from the traditional denim skirt, so I found one with buttons that line up in the front. It came in a light wash and a dark wash, so of course I had to choose the lighter of the two. The light wash of this skirt takes away the potential tackiness that could come with the comeback of denim skirts. Instead of looking like a '90s wannabe (no pun intended), I was able to transform this skirt to look like a modern fashionista. Because the blue is so pale, I paired it with a simple blue striped tank from Anthropologie. (Sidenote: This shirt was on sale four times, so I bought it for only $10. From Anthropologie, one of the most expensive stores I shop at. It used to be $60.) I completed the look with my favorite pair of sandals from Topshop. The unique nature of the skirt made a simple outfit an interesting look that used two up-and-coming trends in one item. This outfit is proof that light wash denim is better and that denim doesn't just belong in pants.


1 comment:

  1. Your skirt is such a nice piece for summer ,have been looking for one for ages! Love this outfit, by the way :)
    Feel free to check out our latest post x
    http://looklovewear.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/ootd-chelsea.html

    ReplyDelete