7.07.2015

How to Make Basics Interesting




Basics, like the plain white tee, are crucial in every fashionista's wardrobe. They simplify overly-complex outfits, and they can complement almost every item in their closet. However, these basics can get to be too simple or too boring. A simple white tank can match with almost anything, but it could make a potentially cute outfit just a disappointing look that has no charm. Basics will always be necessary, but there are ways to make these basics ten times more interesting. Instead of choosing the basics that have no detail or unique character, find the items that have a little more, but just enough to where the item is still considered a "basic". I've been struggling to find the "plain white tee" that is more interesting than the simple ones you'll find at places like Target. To satisfy my want for a basic white tee that can still bring something interesting to the outfit, I went over to J. Crew because they have the best detailed basics. Their store is filled with simple tees that are detailed with jewels, fresh patterns, or even metallic stripes (like the one in my outfit today), which is exactly what I was looking for. I ended up getting a white "muscle" tank with vertical metallic stripes running down both sides. This top is still simple enough to be paired with almost anything, but the metallic detail adds a cool, modern twist on the simple white tank. What I love about this top is that it can be dressed up or down, depending on what I wear. Because I had to dress on the nicer side last night (I was hosting at the restaurant I work at), I paired it with my maroon skirt from American Apparel and my cut-out boots. To make the outfit more edgy and to match the metallic detail on the top, I wore my new grid socks from American Apparel. I could have made the outfit even nicer by adding a statement necklace and heels. To dress down the top, I could have paired it with my ripped boyfriend jeans from Urban Outfitters and sandals. The best thing about basics is the versatility a single item of clothing can bring to your wardrobe, but your wardrobe can be even more interesting if you upgrade these basics to the more detailed and unique ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment