7.09.2015

San Francisco: Day 1

I forgot to tell you guys, but yesterday I flew out to San Francisco with my family. This is my first time on the west coast, and all I have to say so far is that I'm absolutely in love. Maybe not with all of California (I haven't heard the best things about LA), but at least with San Francisco. I'm staying near the Castro, which is the famous LGBT neighborhood, and it's filled with interesting people, the coolest-looking houses, tons of organic coffee shops (and any type of food), and this vibrant culture that you can't find anywhere else. So basically, if my dream wasn't to live in NYC, this is my second one. And I haven't even been outside this little area of SF, so I know it's going to get even better. However, what I've noticed is that they don't have that big of a fashion scene. It does have the shops with the expensive labels (like Prada, Louis Vuitton, Betsey Johnson, etc) in Union Square and Fillmore Street, but that's about as far as it goes. There have been few instances of really cool street style, but most people in this city just dress the way they want to dress, even if it means leggings and t-shirts every day. I'm all for that mentality, but it is definitely not the same in NYC, London, or even places like Chicago (if only SF had something like Michigan Avenue). However, the lack of a huge fashion scene does not stop me from loving it. I made the best of this fashion-lacking city by being one of the few people who actually try with their outfits. This place has really cool weather that is perfect for experimenting with fashion. It's July, but the high gets to be around 65 degrees, and it may drop to 50 at night. I'm definitely a huge fan of this climate, but it definitely calls for some different summer fashion choices. During the day, I was wearing my ripped jeans with a tank top and sandals. The jeans ended up being the only thing I needed to keep warm, but then the sun came out, and everything changed. I had to change into shorts, but then I grabbed a sweater just in case the weather dropped again. The weather here is always changing, so that's the biggest fashion choice you need to make -- be prepared. In my mind, this means layers.

This is what I wore at around 7 when my family and I went out to a delicious seafood restaurant. I started with a sleeveless, turtleneck dress, then I added thigh-highs to keep my legs warm. I finished the outfit by tying my blue striped shirt around my waist. This added color to a black-and-white outfit, but it also served as an extra layer when it got to be colder. I brought a light jacket along, which I ended up wearing on our 10 minute walk there. As for makeup, I opted for a natural look by using a rose eyeshadow by Urban Decay to accentuate my eyes and a neutral lip pencil by Nars to add a touch of color. My outfit was perfect for the weather but also unique enough to make a statement, which was my goal. I can't wait to see what other outfits pop up on this trip, and I can't wait to tell you guys about them! Instead of saying that I won't be able to post for a week because of this trip, I wanted to make the most of it and use this trip to create even better posts.

Here are more photos I shot of this beautiful city:









No comments:

Post a Comment