7.22.2015

Double Denim

Yes, the time has come for me to do some experimentation. This month's denim issue of Nylon came out a few days ago, and I read the entire thing from front cover to back. I was inspired. Maybe it was the provoking cover story on Zoe Kravitz, aka the coolest girl ever, maybe it was the excessive amounts of fashion spreads that fit every style ever imagined. Maybe it was the fact that Nylon inspires me every month I get it in the mail, but I do believe it was the concentration on denim. Every year, Nylon has a denim issue (just like how they have a music issue the month before), and the magazine manages to make almost everything in the issue about the beloved fabric. Nylon devoted some stories to how denim has changed over the decades, how Nylon staff experimented with DIY denim projects, and how the high fashion world is dealing with this fabric. They even somehow managed to incorporate denim into every photoshoot, from Kravitz's wardrobe to the fashion incorporated in "The Scenic Route" spread. All of my regular readers should know by now that I am obsessed with denim, but honestly, who isn't? Obviously I would love an issue devoted to "the magic fabric" (as Nylon says), so I wanted to make my own tribute to this issue and the wonder that is denim.




Two nights ago, I went to the 5th Harmony concert at Cobb Energy Center in Atlanta. This was the first pop concert I have ever been to, and it was either filled with middle school aged fangirls or the parents that drove them there. It was a little strange because I was probably the only one there that actually drove myself, but it ended up being a really good concert -- the girls are so talented, and they even had their own choreography. I'm used to seeing a band play instruments and just sing into a microphone, so it was a cool experience. Because it was a "girl group" concert, I decided to channel my inner cool '90s girl. And to incorporate denim into this look, I mastered the look a lot of people are too scared to pull off -- denim on denim. I don't know who decided this look was tacky because I have seen so many examples of people who really worked it. Once again, this comes down to an inner confidence (like I talked about in my jumpsuit post). If you feel great in it, you will look great. It's just that simple. However, in the fashion world, there are a few rules to follow. It'd be a bad idea to look just like Britney and Justin in their coordinating denim disaster (see here). Sure, use this iconic look (iconic does not always mean good) as an inspiration to do all things denim, but don't completely follow their looks unless you want to end up on the "what not to wear" section of every tabloid magazine. Instead of literally following the head-to-toe denim trend, start out by being more subtle. The biggest thing I achieved in this look was contrast. I took my light-wash denim skirt and paired it with something that was dark wash, which ended up being a dark chambray shirt. And yes, chambray is still considered denim if you don't want to be too drastic in your denim on denim look. The contrast between the two made the look more appealing to the eye but also less tacky to try for the first time. I could have paired the skirt with my light chambray top, but I wanted to try double denim in a subtle way. As I
continue denim on denim, I'll probably try pairing two denim items in the same wash. It is achievable, but it's definitely a reach. To make this outfit "concert appropriate" and still follow the cool 90s girl look, I only used this chambray top as a layer and wore a halter crop top. Simply tying the shirt around my waist still carried that denim on denim look. I completed the look with my grid socks peeking out of my cut-out boots and thick, winged-eyeliner. Also, if you haven't noticed, I dyed my hair lighter a week ago, which definitely fits in with the look I was trying to achieve.  


Halter top from Urban Outfitters, skirt from American Apparel, chambray top from Gap, socks from American Apparel, and boots from Asos.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful outfit, would you like to follow each other?:)

    http://julesonthemoon.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete