6.23.2015

Trend of the Week: The "Not-So-Basic" Romper

It's been a week and a half since I've posted, so I'm extremely sorry to all of my regular readers. I really try to post at least once a week (especially in the summer, but more like three times a week during the school year), but these past few days have been pretty hectic, and it took my friend who took a photo of this outfit a week to send it to me. Also, I haven't done a trend of the week since May, so I wanted to get back into that habit.


The romper is one of the hardest items of clothing to pull off, and that’s why most of my wardrobe does not involve them. Other than the time I wore a romper at a music festival, the last time I wore one was in 7th grade, so it’s obvious that many of them can look unfashionable or even childish. And even if they don’t meet those two negative statements, they can give off a basic look (hence my title) that does not make anyone look like a fashionista. However, many designers and retail shops are understanding this sad (but true) statement, so they are bringing edgier styles, patterns, and fabrics to make the once dull romper an extremely simple but fashionable outfit choice. There are thousands of different variations that are now in stores, like strapless, striped, co-ord sets, and even unique materials like denim or leather that are seen on such a simple clothing item. The way to rock this piece is to find the more unique, even edgy, styles to make a bold fashion statement. To match my own personal style, I chose a denim one from Gap, which, by the way, is breaking free from its terrible fashion choices and becoming one of my favorite stores. Recently, I’ve had a fashion crush on everything denim, so of course I had to pick out the denim romper. I’ve wanted to expand my wardrobe into things I usually do not wear (which is the romper), but I was still able to make it familiar to my wardrobe with the denim style. Denim is seen in jeans and sometimes jackets, so making this versatile fabric into a romper is definitely an edgy move for fashion. If the same simple cut romper were made with a universal material like cotton, I probably wouldn’t deem this romper as fashionable as the unique denim one I’m rocking in this outfit. That is the simple way to make rompers fashionable -- find the bolder styles. And of course, I had to layer on top of this outfit despite the 95 degree weather, so I tied a simple teal shirt around my waist to give the outfit more character. I finished the outfit with my metallic Tevas (which, by the way, have weirdly worked with almost every outfit I have worn this summer) due to their comfortable nature but also cool aesthetic. The best part about rompers is that they make choosing outfits an extremely quick process, because you only need at least two (but in my case, three) items to create one. I promise you that rompers are making their way back into the fashion world, but it’s important to choose the right styles to look the best and to work a possibly outdated style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment