6.08.2015

Atlanta Street Style Tips


 




Yesterday, I was in downtown Atlanta, around the High Museum area, because one of my photographs was on display in a Metro Atlanta High School exhibit in one of the wings of the museum (pretty cool, right!). Yesterday was the date of the reception for all the students that had their artwork on display, so I wanted to use this time to 1) actually put effort into my fashion choices this summer and 2) figure out a few tips for picking out outfits for a day spent downtown. Downtown Atlanta is completely different than the actual town I live in (Milton, an affluent suburban town where 80% of the people my age wear Vineyard Vines), so I had to up my fashion game for this day. Some people have told me that I already dress like a city girl, so this task was not that difficult, but I still had to put more thought into it than usual. The best way to take on the city is to dress in your own personal style, bring a unique twist to this, but also keep a familiar trend in your outfit. In a city, anyone can stop you and ask if they can photograph your outfit for their fashion blog, so a good tip is to always dress your best. (Sidenote: at the High, there were so many to-die-for looks that I wanted to capture and post here but I left my camera at home on accident. I’m still upset about it.) People who are interested in street style love to see used trends that are styled in a completely unique manner, which is why you need to bring both a universal trend plus your own personal twist to street style looks. For the universal trend, I brought out my beloved pleated midi skirt with a metallic tint. The midi skirt has been a trend for a few years now and it’s definitely not about to leave the fashion world, and it’s perfect for a city -- the skirt aspect makes it comfortable and free, but the longer aspect is practical for windy environments. To “personalize” the trend, I wore my favorite pair of Chelsea boots. These boots are also perfect for walking in a city and they just make you look like an urban gal. Practically every person who lives in a city owns them, so I would invest in them if you want to live anywhere with skyscrapers and concrete fields. And finally, to add a unique twist, I wore a rose eyelet sleeveless top that my friend actually let me borrow. (Quick story: the top used to have long sleeves, but my friend didn’t like them so she just cut them off.) The DIY feel of the top definitely makes it unique, and the eyelet pattern contrasts with the edge that comes from the skirt. I then finished the look with my bold red-orange lipstick (NARS Matte Lipstick in Heatwave for future reference) to add color to a dull-colored outfit and to stand out in a city full of fashion. If there had been any fashion photographers/bloggers around, my outfit would be described as “using the familiar midi trend and personalizing it with classy and bold statements”. Luckily, there’s still a possibility to be comfortable and bold, which is what I did in this look. 







2 comments:

  1. This is a really nice outfit! Your tips are helpful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pics =)
    kiss from Italy
    http://blamod.com

    ReplyDelete