10.10.2015

Fashion Month

This is the first time that I'm actually going to be just like the majority of fashion bloggers out there by doing what everyone expects -- fashion show reviews. The only difference is that instead of physically going to the fashion shows, I had to do my research online. Scrolling through hundreds of designers for NYFW, LFW, MFW, and PFW and choosing your favorites is not an easy task, especially when you're in love with 80% of the collections. It was pretty simple choosing the ones that I definitely didn't love (that Jamaican themed Tommy Hilfiger show wasn't really my thing, and don't even get my started on the Valentino collection that just oozes cultural appropriation), but choosing the absolute best out of the ones that caught my eye took hours of watching way too many runway shows. But finally, after hours of what I like to call "fashion research", I compiled a list of my top 9 shows from the SS16 collections from this fashion month.


New York Fashion Week

NYFW is usually the one to steal my heart, but overall, this season it didn't necessarily deserve a standing O. However, a few shows ended up being my favorites from the entire bunch. And we'll start with...

Jeremy Scott



Photos by Giovanni Giannoni from WWD.com

It's nearly impossible to not include one of my favorite designers in my top nine shows from the SS16 collections. However, it's not even my favorite by him, but it still embodies the colorful and wild nature of Jeremy Scott's unique style. If we can get over Gigis' horrendous opening walk (why does she open most of the big runway shows these days? Why???) and some over-the-top men's fashion statements, this collection brings an obvious tribute to the '60s with a bang, because how else does Jeremy Scott work? Those bright patterns, a-line shapes, and flouncing retro wigs gave this collection a signature look, and I'm not sure if I'm completely in love, but I would love to see someone rocking that two-piece monster (is that what it is?) set off the runway.
Rating: 8.0

Public School





















































Photos from Vogue

Public School is one of my favorite New York-based brands, so it was also second nature for me to choose the duo's SS16 collection. It also has to be my favorite from all of NYFW's collections this season. Those navy blue and white oversized trenches and sweaters were practically calling my name the minute they stepped onto the runway. The collection gave off this practical chic aesthetic (just look at those shoes) that I would definitely wear next spring and summer. Designers, watch out for Public School, because they're getting bigger and better by the minute.
Rating: 9.6

Alexander Wang





















































Photos by Giovanni Giannoni from WWD.com

Once again, one of my other favorite designers. I stuck to the brands I knew for NYFW because that was the easiest way to find the ones I knew I would love, which isn't a compliment to this season's NYFW collections. However, this one definitely stood out for me and didn't fit in with the bland, "beachy vibes" that we got from most of NYFW's collections. This collection definitely showed who Alexander Wang is as a designer -- someone who wants to innovate new trends from the old. He created this dynamic collection in the grittiest way, using army green, denim, and revealing tops as the basis for his set. This designer turned casual, what looks like "your older brother's clothes" into individualized styles that make a bold statement. Props to you, Alexander Wang, for putting effort into everything you created with this collection, whether it's the actual pieces, the styling of the models, or even the racy after-party you hosted.
Rating: 8.5

London Fashion Week

This week upped NYFW just by a little bit because it was more difficult for me to choose which collections I liked the best. However, I only picked two -- I was going to include Topshop Unique, but it just didn't appeal to me this year (which is a huge shocker -- I can usually count on them). We'll start with a classic...

Burberry






























Photos from londonfashionweek.com

I've honestly never been a huge fan of Burberry until now. They strayed away from their classic plaid aesthetic and went for a more military meets feminine look, which I'm all for this season. I'm starting to see a pattern in these collections -- a sort of utilitarian, masculine feel from the fabrics and a feminine touch from the cuts and shapes. Androgyny in fashion is one of my favorite trends, so keep it up, designers. I love how Burberry literally embodied the modern London woman feel with those gold trimmed blazers and black lace dresses. Also, Cara Delevingne and Annie Clarke were the cutest couple in the front row, and the 32-piece orchestra definitely made it a show that makes me envy the important people who get invited to these shows.
Rating: 9.4

Simone Rocha






























Photos from Vogue

This is what I've been waiting for this fashion month. I didn't even know who Simone Rocha was until I was researching these shows, and once I stumbled upon her, I fell in love. Feminine shapes with cloudy, floral, and frilly aesthetics is what I love in fashion and exactly what Rocha brought with this collection. Valentino's collection last season had it, and now this season, it's Simone Rocha. What I love is that they're all ready to wear (unlike Valentino's haute couture gowns), so it makes these designs accessible for any occasion (if you don't mind looking like a literal angel). Even the ground these models walked on matched their godly outfits -- that green carpet just screams Parisian femininity. I would say that this is my favorite of the bunch, but the ones coming up get even better.
Rating: 9.9 

Milan Fashion Week

For some reason a lot of us seem to forget about MFW, but they always carry a lot of the most well known designers and brands (Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, etc). I absolutely loved most of these shows, but because I don't want to keep rambling about my favorite shows, I only chose one from this week. Because most of these shows were amazing, this show was obviously one of the best out of all of the shows from this season. And the lucky winner is...

Gucci




        























Photos from Vogue

Until now, I've never been the biggest fan of Gucci. I saw it as this overrated brand that slowly became a "joke" to the overpriced, high fashion world. But this is before I even looked into them that much, and once I saw this show, my view of them completely altered. This show made me realize how much I love fashion, because everything about it was so beautiful. The ethereal music with soft whispers in French (almost like she was like the painted snakes on the ground) and the angelic walks of all the models made the show an out-of-body experience (literally...), and I haven't even talked about the clothes yet. Gucci brought the Italian glamor we usually see in their collections with those intricate floral and snakeskin designs, but they also added a touch of "geek-chic" (as Vogue calls it) and a greek-goddess aesthetic to the collection. I've never been a fan of too much accessories, but the huge bows and flouncing skirts only worked well for this collection. Honestly, the best way to describe it is simply... beautiful, in every sense of the word.
Rating: 10 (yes, it's my favorite of all of them)

Paris Fashion Week

And we're down to the last week... This one was hands down the best. Of course, fashion month has to go out with a bang, and PFW definitely accomplished that. In the beginning, I had seven shows picked out just from this week, but I had to cut it down to just three. Before I even begin, I want to give an honorable mention to Elie Saab, one of my favorite designers ever. Your collection was amazing, but it didn't make the list. Let's start with...

Dior



















































Photos by Isidore Montag

I don't think a single fashion blogger talking about their favorite shows missed including the Dior show. Everything about it was magical, whether it was the genius location of the Louvre, the flower mountain that literally took two weeks to construct, or the well-designed collection that gave a sense of Parisian nostalgia. Those flowing veiled skirts and signature chokers gave this collection a certain look that everyone fell in love with. This show was a great way to start off PFW, and I'm pretty sure it was a prediction for how well the others went, because things just kept getting better.
Rating: 9.7


Moncler Gamme Rouge



















































Photos from Vogue

This designer for this collection, Giambattista Valli, is also one I have never heard of until I was researching all the PFW shows. And the same goes for this collection just like Simone Rocha's -- I'm in love. Everything about it, whether it was the literal meadow the models walked in or the styling of the sneakers with garden fairy-esque dresses, fit into what I love in fashion today. (Side note: I told you that I'm not the only one who likes to pair casual sneakers with dresses, like in this post.) This show also gave off a greek goddess feeling, but while Gucci did it in a fierce, "Nike" (the goddess of victory) way, Moncler Gamme Rouge did it in a soft, "Aphrodite" (the goddess of love) way. I also love how Valli used white in all of the pieces, but each one either has an accent of all white, metallic silver, red, or green. There's probably some symbolism in it that I don't want to go into right now, but bravo to Giambattista Valli for creating a collection that's fit for a fairy.
Rating: 9.9

Alexander McQueen



























        






















Photos from Vogue

Of course, I have to end this post with a bang, and what other way to do so than with the wonder that is Alexander McQueen. This isn't anywhere near my favorite out of the nine I selected, but I thought that the legacy McQueen brings would fit for the final review. Obviously, it's now Sarah Burton who now runs the brand, and while she still brings the traditional Alexander McQueen look (just look at those collars), she brought a subtle femininity to the usually over-the-top edgy brand. With Victorian-era collars and silhouettes, frilly layers, and a black and white color scheme, she goes back to a romantic time frame that is strange for McQueen, but also refreshing. Even without Alexander, the brand still runs strong with subtle changes yet still the same McQueen look we all know.
Rating: 8.8























No comments:

Post a Comment