10.02.2015

The Return of the Turtleneck

October has just begun, so it might seem strange to jump straight into fall trends. For some, it takes a few weeks to warm-up to the colder weather and new seasonal styles, but for me, I've been waiting since July for the best (at least in my opinion) season of fashion. Right when the cold(er) weather hit, I took that chance to showcase what I've been wanting to do for months now. Maybe it's too early to start wearing turtlenecks, but recently, I decided that this was the year to embrace the trend. Last winter, I wore them a few times, but I never felt completely comfortable, and that's probably because many people refuse to work with the revival of this style. Of course, in April, when it was far too hot to even attempt wearing turtlenecks, I decided that I was going to bring them back in full swing when the temperature dropped. Finally, after six months of waiting, the temperature dropped, and I began my endeavor to make turtlenecks fashionable again.


Most of the fashion world has caught on to this trend, but the fashion world is only a minuscule percentage of the entire world population. Wearing something like this can still make my peers glare at me (which I will never understand), but I noticed that I got better feedback this time than I did when I wore turtlenecks last year. I guess the rest of the world is beginning to catch up with the high fashion and street-style-obsessed population. Of course, I always try to match my personal style with up and coming trends, so I worked the turtleneck into the '70s revival we saw all over AW15 fashion shows. I paired the striped-turtleneck with a wool vintage skirt (which actually came directly from the '70s) and my Stan Smiths to fully embody the '70s look. I may even like this revival more than the recent comeback of '90s trends, so choosing an outfit for today was really enjoyable for me. But of course, it always comes back to fitting with my personal style, so instead of making this outfit have a '70s color scheme (rusty oranges, bright reds/yellows, pale blues, etc), I worked with a darker, neutral theme, almost to match the color of the sky we've had for over a week. Also, now that I look back at the outfit, the striped top gives off a Parisian vibe, which is perfect for the start of Paris Fashion Week (side note: a blog post is coming soon about the best SS16 fashion shows, and the extravagant Dior show from earlier today will definitely make an appearance). And you may have thought that I would bring back the turtleneck just by pairing it with boyfriend jeans. That sounds like an ideal outfit for another day, but when I bring back a trend that I've been wanting to do for six months, I come in full force.

Top by J. Crew. Skirt by Gap. Shoes by Adidas.
Photos shot by me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment