10.28.2015

Reinventing Fashion

No, I'm not here to start a fashion revolution (my title may be deceiving). Not like it wouldn't be a dream of mine to be involved in one, but I have realized something that forces me (and others who would like to try this phenomenon) to step outside the two-dimensional fashion world. Maybe it's the spooky weather and Halloween spirits that are making me think about these types of things more closely, but it's this simple -- not every piece of clothing has to be worn like it was meant to be worn. You may have seen some people wearing their long denim front-button skirts as dresses, but I'm not asking you to do anything that severe. I'm not even sure if I'm on board with that new look, and I'm usually open to anything when it comes to fashion, but this new "phenomenon" can be as simple as rolling up the sleeves of a button-up top further than usual. However, I'd like to take more risks than something like that, so I decided to take it one step further.




Transforming a dress into a top is one of the simplest things to do, but it's not done often. The more you want it to work, the less it will work, so my suggestion is to find a dress you like, find a skirt you like, and put it together (does that even make sense??). That's how I was able to work this outfit -- I knew I wanted to make this graphic dress a top, so I paired it with every skirt I owned until a good fit was made. If I had a specific skirt in mind, I may have given up if it didn't look like I wanted it to and thrown on a sweater and leggings. That's my motto in fashion -- keep your expectations low while experimenting with outfits, but keep them high when finished. The only way to be successful in trying new looks is to keep an open mind, and most everything will look fashion-forward. Before I start to sound like a motivational speaker, I'll get back to the outfit. This dress, which I wore a while back during Montreal Fashion Week (here), is one of my favorites due to it's quirky designs but also its simplicity. This nature allowed me to change its look completely by just adding a pastel pink skirt to it, which alters the mod vibe to a more classic style. All I did after this was add my army-green jacket from Topshop and even wear the same Stan Smiths I wore the last time I wore the dress, and yet the outfit is still completely different than the previous one. Maybe it's because my hair is completely different (I forgot to tell you that I finally went for a platinum lob), but I do believe that just one simple step can make all the difference.




So there's my "fashion revolution". You probably thought it would take more effort, but it's in the small things that can reinvent looks. Another perk to this is that it can save you when you haven't had the chance to go fall shopping (yes, I'm talking about me right now). Although I did not pertain to fall trends in this look, I could have easily made a Spring/Summer dress an Autumn look by adding a darker skirt and tights. Like I said, stepping outside the fashion-box doesn't have to be difficult.


Dress/top by Zara. Skirt by American Apparel. Jacket by Topshop. Shoes by Adidas.
Photos taken by me.



2 comments:

  1. Nice skirt

    FOLLOW my Blog!!! Maybe we can follow each other!!!
    http://rimanerenellamemoria.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Darling:)
    Love this Look and Style:)
    Happy Day
    Much Love, Open Kloset
    True Beauty Comes From Within
    www.openklosetfashion.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete