3.17.2016

In Limbo


I think it's safe to say that we're now in the "in limbo" period of seasonal fashion. A period of fashionable ambiguity, a transition between two things, and in this case, it's winter and spring trends. I was going to relate this idea to Radiohead's song off of Kid A titled "In Limbo", but the lyrics are not even similar to what I'm trying to say, unless this awkward period is "living in a fantasy world" (maybe, if you think really hard?).

Spring is so close, so close I can almost touch it, but it's still March. March is supposed to be winter-oriented, turtlenecks and cable knits and ankle boots galore. Except it's hot. The south didn't even get an in limbo period, we got a frozen tundra immediately followed by a sweltering summer day. I think it's proof that global warming is, in fact, real, but there's no fashion manual on how to dress in case global warming occurs. So I like to still think we're in limbo. We're still supposed to wear pants and layers, even if it's 76 degrees. Or maybe we can just skip the whole period and jump straight into our bikinis and frilly rompers and call it a day, but what's the fun of that? I actually enjoy this period. It makes getting dressed in the morning a challenge; it even forces me to wear items I used to deem unworthy. Call me a fashion nerd, but I love a fashion challenge.

Top by Urban Outfitters. Jeans by Mango. Jacket by Topshop. 

White pants, or really white anything, used to scare the hell out of me because I probably belong in the Guinness Book of World Records for spilling the most amount of coffee on my clothing, not my actual self, in a single week (and the fact that I really don't want to resemble Alex from A Clockwork Orange). And this is still true -- those pants that I actually put both of my legs into today made me anxious the entire day, but the pants (and I) survived the past eight hours. I decided that it was time to get some high-waisted and frayed and cropped and flared jeans, of course six months after everybody else did, so the tardiness instantaneously forced me to buy white ones, because Spring!! Also, these were on sale on Mango for only $14 (find a similar pair here), so I felt compelled to buy them. Going for white was spring, but going for pants was winter. I'm practically the in limbo queen. I'm probably going to wear these throughout the year, Labor Day Rule be damned.

Choker by Asos. Shoes are unknown, but find similar Asos ones here. Sunglasses by Madewell.

Then I also went for a top that I usually only wear over bathing suits or with shorts saved for July, but I decided that a floral cropped, barely-there tank could definitely work with white pants (something like this or this could work too). It's pretty self-explanatory here -- I paired a summer essential with an item that actually covers my legs. In limbo. The green jacket wrapped around my waist wasn't there until about an hour ago because a) I forgot it was St. Patrick's Day until 10 this morning and b) I spent about half an hour trying to find it in my mess of a room, so I gave up until I realized at around noon that it was hanging on my door. I rushed home after school to get the jacket only for the sake of a blog post because I have absolutely nowhere else to go today. BUT the jacket adds a layer (in limbo!!), some green for the holiday, and a method to stop my tiny shirt from creeping up and showing some skin (not that it would matter).


All of sudden I've been into accessories, so I linked a gold-chain choker around my neck that slightly resembles a dog collar, plus someone told me that Cosmo said that metallics were in this Spring and this was after I decided to wear the necklace (am I a fashion psychic?). Then, instead of wearing boots with heels or clogs or even pumps that are usually paired with flares I wore these gold sandal/flats-type-shoes that I bought at a boutique in Haight-Ashbury in SF last year (similar to these) because I decided it's time to give my white sneakers a break, and that metallic theme is so pulling my outfit together. The sunglasses on my face were only there when I was driving and when I was shooting photos for this post, so they weren't technically part of my in limbo look but I decided they'd look really cute with my bright pink+purple lips (also in limbo!).


So take spring trends like white and florals and metallics, and just cover your legs (maybe instead by wearing thigh highs) and add a layer that doesn't even have to touch your arms? Sounds pretty simple, if you ask me.


How do you dress for these awkward times between winter and spring? Comment below, in my newly updated Disqus widget (it makes discussions and recommendations so much easier).


No comments:

Post a Comment