3.26.2016

Blue Velvet


Er, black velvet, actually, but my hair is blue. Does that count? 

Well, it's more of a gray-ish color with slight tints of periwinkle blue, but the blue is important in the whole color theme because of David Lynch's (Twin Peaks, anyone?) film titled Blue Velvet

Lynch likes to hide really disturbing content in his films with pretty aesthetics, like white picket fences, blue skies, and brightly colored flowers. The movie carries this perfect suburbia theme, kind of like a fantasy world, that covers the disturbing truth of what is really going on in the small town -- the abuse of a twisted woman by a psychopath (and that woman really likes to wear blue velvet). It plays with the contrast between surface and depth, that not everything is really as it seems, but the disturbing, kind of gross parts of the movie don't really relate to what I'm trying to say. All we need to see, as of now, is the beautiful surface of life, because that's what spring feels like to me. Maybe there's some kind of murderous case going on in the suburban town of Milton, but I hope not because the flowers are in full bloom.


Velvet seems like the perfect material to embrace this perfect season, and it's not just because of the one movie I referenced. It's soft texture and shiny appearance just makes me excited to get dressed in the morning, and that's something that all of us lacked in the colder months. I even posed in front of bright pink flowers and a (kind of) blue sky to reference Lynch, and those two things seem to make me actually want to get up in the morning. And knowing that yes, it is possible to wear velvet overalls in the spring makes me even more enthusiastic. I didn't think it was possible; velvet is reserved for fall and winter (did you guys see those FW16 collections?), but then I remembered that it's spring, and anything's possible. 


I made this piece work by trading my Stan Smiths for strappy Topshop sandals, my knit sweater for a muscle tee with metallic detail, and my overcoat for a floral neck scarf, which is so relevant because florals and spring are soulmates. Maybe switch the muscle tee with an over-the-shoulder blouse and the strappy sandals with suede clogs if you want more of a Stevie Nicks, free-spirited look. Either way works. I practically changed my top three times in the morning because wearing something that wasn't long-sleeved felt so strange with the overalls, but then Blue Velvet started to play in my head and I had to make the outfit work. For the sake of David Lynch.


Side note: Did you know that this velvet bib has a huge pouch to carry keys, a phone, maybe some snacks or an entire lunch? I felt like a well-dressed kangaroo, except I'd trade the baby kangaroo for some chocolate.

How do you like to style velvet in the spring? Put your thoughts in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment