1.09.2016

Fashion Influences

In our lives, we always have those people we just seem to get. Like, being without them just wouldn't make sense. The world would not rotate correctly if they weren't in your life. Not necessarily like soulmates, but close to that. Whatever the friendly version of soulmates is called, that's what I sort of have with my friend Lauren. We both have the same interests in music, art, and of course fashion, and we continue to feed off of each other by inspiring each other in these topics. Like a mutualistic symbiotic relationship, that thing I learned in biology freshman year where two organisms live off of each other to where they both benefit. At least that's how I feel, but that's enough to inspire me in all aspects of life. We've been living this symbiosis for almost four years now, and at our peak of friendship, she of course has to move across the entire country to California. And I guess her news of moving has shown me how grateful I am for her. I probably wouldn't even have this blog if it weren't for her. She wasn't the one who told me to start it (that was my mom and sister), but she and I share this love for fashion that inspired me to do something with my true love. Sometimes simply knowing that someone else loves the same things just as much as you can inspire you to do more with that interest. I bet she doesn't even know the influence she's had on me for all these years, but I'm finally showing her, just days before she moves.


We said our goodbyes by going down to a few places in Atlanta with our group of friends, and of course she brought her best fashion game by wearing a corduroy skirt with tights and black knee-highs (sadly not shown in the image above). Looking back, I'm pretty sure she was the one who influenced me to start wearing thigh-highs. Sometimes I feel like I start wearing things all on my own (or due to street style photos on Pinterest), but now I realize that a lot of my fashion sense comes from her. I started shopping at Topshop because she would go on for hours about how much she loved the place three years ago. That backpack I'm wearing in the picture? All her. And the courage to try the unconventional in fashion and life in general that I now carry definitely comes from Lauren. Maybe her dreams involve art and film-making while mine involve fashion, but she sure as hell carries that same amount of passion that drives me to write all my posts. 

Sweater, overalls, and backpack by Urban Outfitters. Shoes by Adidas. Coat (in first photo) by J. Crew.
Photo above taken by Lauren.

Lauren wasn't the one who told me to get these amazing overalls (who would've thought that velvet overalls could be a thing?), but I now realize that it may have been her who urged me to try the unconventional. It was probably a comment from two years ago that transformed into me subconsciously buying the pair. Long story short, we all have fashion influences in our lives, whether we recognize it or not. And as my going away party to her, I wanted to celebrate by doing what she inspired me to do, even if it was subconsciously. 

Overalls are nothing new in the fashion world, but they definitely follow the unconventional route based on what the average person wears today. I'm the first person I personally know who has worn them, and it felt liberating to have a look that no one else would be using. Overalls may have been seen in the area, but velvet overalls? That just sounds like a fashion dream come true. I loved following that feminine utilitarian style we saw in a lot of the SS16 shows last year with this look, but I also loved going my own way through this outfit (like that one Fleetwood Mac song). And that's exactly what I learned from Lauren. No, I didn't plan this outfit just due to her influence on me. But after spending a full day with her (plus a few compliments from her as well), I have come to terms with the fact that I couldn't be as involved with my passions if I was going through them alone. A lot of my style only comes from my own intentions, but a lot of it is influenced by others, and not just those famous bloggers or fashion gurus. It's comforting to know that one of your best friends carries that same passion and that she'll always be there when you need inspiration, even if she'll be 2,230 miles away from me. I always say to be independent with your fashion endeavors, but it's always better to have someone who can always influence you when needed no matter the circumstances. Keep that independence, but also find that mutualistic symbiosis. Two is better than one, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment