6.23.2017

Midis are Back!!!

Wait, did they ever really leave?

Well in my closet, they did.

Remember approximately a week ago, when I said that I was solely purchasing items that have crotches? This is already changing! As my style always is.

I've spent 6/7 days of the past week wearing items that lack the legs and crotch you would typically find in a normal pair of pants. Once again, I have contradicted myself in terms of style. I can't help that fashion is constantly evolving. The reason I've always been more fond of dresses and skirts over those leg-constricting things we call pants is due to how they lack that leg-constricting nature--skirts and dresses are so liberating! Dresses more than skirts, actually. Skirts both require a top half, if you're down to follow societal norms and not stroll around in public topless, and also are usually constricting to the waist. Not as freeing as we expected, unfortunately.

But dresses! Especially those of the free-flowing midi type that do the opposite of clothing that exist to take away our freedoms. Definitely an exaggeration, but the argument that jeans (of the super-skinny type) and mini skirts and body-con dresses that hardly go past the thighs are, to an extent, of an oppressive nature. Don't get me wrong, I love to wear a mini every now and then and don a pair of jeans that shows off my curves (or lack of, to be more accurate). Showing off skin and wearing skin-tight pieces is great, if that's your style, and you do it for you, not to follow patriarchal gender roles. But sometimes my body just needs to ~breathe~. Especially in this heat!

Cue the introduction of the midi, or rather the reintroduction of the midi. I used to love these things! However, they were usually of the skirt type, especially this one pleated metallic midi that now seems so unadventurous. Then I took a practically year long break from them; you won't find a single one on the blog for the past 12 months, which is quite spooky if you think about it. I only seemed to wear pants and shorts and dresses/skirts of the short type. But then about a month or so ago, when I suddenly became obsessed with Reformation and their shin-grazing hemlines that were on almost half of their dresses, I realized it was time to go back. What's excellent about these things is that it's leg-freeing AND I don't have to shave. Well, I usually don't even shave when I'm wearing a mini skirt, but that's beside the point.

A Case for the Wrap Dress


Dress by Artizia. Shirt, bandana, and shoes by Madewell. 

Ah, the beloved wrap dress. I feel like I'm in 2001 again, but a cooler and fashion-forward version of her. I used to imagine these entities as DVF wrap dresses from the early 2000s that Lorelai Gilmore would wear constantly, but now these dresses have a makeover--swap long sleeves for spaghetti straps (flutter sleeves are also an option), and switch that stretchy cotton for linen or a crepe fabric. Also add in slits. Maybe even pockets! I went for this one by Aritzia that shows some skin with the plunging neck line and side slits, but also covers 3/4 of my legs. A perfect balance. I placed my favorite white tee by Madewell under it and tied a gingham bandana around my wrist because although I told myself I would stop with the bandanas six months ago, this art has become second nature to me. My loafer slides finished the look, and *voila*. I just made wrap midis cool again.

A Case for the Waistless Midi










































































































Dress by Madewell. Shoes by Adidas. Neck scarf is thrifted.

Waistless midi? More like paper sack. But paper sacks are fashionable now, no? This one from Madewell is even better than the aforementioned midi--no tie to hold your waist back. Eat all the pizza you like! I've usually only leaned towards waistless dresses when hemlines are above the knee, but this one goes far past them, making the shape (or lack of one) questionable. But the ruffles and super soft cotton/tencel combo pulled me in, and now I'm in love. I would lie and say the wrap dress is what made me love midis again, but this one definitely did the trick. It felt like I was wearing practically nothing, which is what summer should feel like! Just add sneakers and a neck scarf if you're going to work (where sneakers are allowed, of course), or add nothing if you're on the beach and shoes aren't a requirement. Either way, your legs and waist will thank you.

Have any midi skirt/dress recs? Leave them in the comments below!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment