3.31.2017

What to Wear When: The Cherry Blossoms Have Bloomed

I've never been more excited for a season, well, ever.



Because flowers make everything so much more fun! Being able to live in the city that's famous for this ~wonder of nature~ makes one of the best seasons that much more enjoyable. Unless you have allergies.

Here are some alternate titles for spring to get you excited:

Leave other suggestions in the comments below, if you wish.

So yes! Spring is actually here! Even if the weather sometimes likes to tease us with a sunny 75 degrees and immediately drops to 40 and rainy the next day, I've officially decided to put away my turtlenecks and oversized coats and pull out open toed shoes, garments that reveal my freshly shaven legs (yes, I shaved for this occasion!), and investment pieces that make this season so much simpler, even though it's already simple enough. I want easy pieces that make getting dressed in the morning a fun activity, not a task, like, maybe this blush coverall jumpsuit, these pleated accordion pants, or this reformation dress that matches my favorite Glossier lipstick shade (Generation G in Zip, if you were curious). And maybe pair all of the above with pastel pink slides? Lately, I've been straying away from feminine piecesI can't remember the last time I wore a flared skirt or heels, unless those heels are paired with black denim. But now the cherry blossoms make me want to do the opposite! I want more pink items, more items that don't involve a crotch (weirdly worded, I know), more pieces that have ruffles and frills and details that just scream femininity. I want pieces that also make me look good while napping under these cherry blossoms trees, as seen here:


A post shared by Natalie Geisel (@fracturedaesthetic) on

Not featured: me getting extremely awkward tan lines due to my bandana bracelet and v-neck dress

Below are two ways that showcase this ~new style~ that truly reveal this strange mood that can only be encapsulated by the above Instagram post.

1. When You Love the Cherry Blossoms so Much That You Literally Want to Become One:


 
Dress, loafer mules, and sunglasses by Madewell (can you tell I'm a sales associate there?). Bandana used as a bracelet is thrifted. 

In my first attempt at spring 2017, I took a literal approach and did the florals thing. Groundbreaking, am I right? 

Sorry. I had to. 

But I match the flowers right above my head! It seemed more than fitting, considering this is my first spring being surrounded by the thing that attracts so many tourists. Luckily, this is a fairly simple approach: wear absolutely anything with florals. Investment pieces like this Madewell wrap dress that resembles Reformation's warm weather aesthetic work especially well, considering the flowers on it actually do resemble the pale pink cherry blossoms. I decided to tie a vintage neck scarf (which I thrifted in Seattle!) around my wrist because I'm trying to break my neck scarf habit, and this way I can still have my fix without actually covering my lovely collar bones. Kind of like those Nicotine patches? I then slid on my loafer slides, a style of shoe that should become the official shoe of spring because they're just that easy (and not too summer-y like open toed slides), and only three steps later, my first spring lewk was complete. Where's my "That Was Easy" button?

2. When You Don't Want to Change Your Androgynous Personal Style Completely but Also Want a Touch of Feminine:
Tank and Denim Jacket by Madewell. Pants are thrifted (or find some similar ones here). Clogs by Anthropologie.

Even though it's technically spring and pants season is long gone, the weather the day after my cherry blossom nap dropped about 20 degrees, so I knew covering my legs would be a necessity. But that doesn't have to mean jeans! I got these Dana Scully-esque trousers that used to go past my toes before I found a pair of scissors while thrifting in Seattle, and they're perfect for this in limbo transition–they still do the same job of pants, but its thin material and ankle-revealing properties make them a perfect spring pant. So even if it is 70 degrees, these babies are your best bet if you can't seem to hop off the pants train. As I said earlier, this new season has only made me crave more feminine styles, so to emasculate the look, I paired them with a red sweater tank, also similar to my favorite Generation G shade, and my blush clogs, which exactly resemble the tint of those cherry blossoms (and Glossier's Cloud Paint in puff, I suppose?). This is a nice way to ~transition~ into spring if you're not really into floral prints or ruffle hemlines because that peep of shoulder and ankle (and arm and chest and foot, for that matter) prove that the sun is about to be out for good. Because denim should be the official layering fabric of spring, I wrapped my arms and shoulders in my new collarless denim jacket (from Madewell, of course) to change things up a bitcollared jackets seem so last season. Minutes after taking these photos, I realized I should have definitely worn socks with these clogs; I guess I got a little too excited for the new season. 

Are any of you guys amazed that I haven't used a spring pun yet? Well, time to end that shock, because spring has officially sprung.

No comments:

Post a Comment