3.09.2017

Business on the Bottom, Party on the Top

Like, an upside-down mullet, perhaps?

This is a really strange way to describe an outfit, but it looks exactly what it sounds like! You'll see in the next few minutes, or however long it takes you to read the next few sentences I am currently writing that are introducing my très chic look. ~Anyways~. One thing I always am attracted to when creating outfits, sometimes weeks in advance, are juxtapositions in styles, usually in the same outfit. A term I often use in my fashion show reviews, a term I also often use in everyday life. If you were curious to what the actual definition is, move your eyes to the below definition:


If you were unsure of the (usually) literary definition, now you're just a little bit smarter than you were ten seconds ago. Congrats! Juxtapositions are methods to make some concepts, like a) poetry/poetic or literary themes b) art and c) fashion, more interesting and to emphasize certain aspects of the art. Because contrast is key! It directs our eyes (and brains) to things we wouldn't necessarily notice if it weren't included. Literature/art history lesson over. Time to reveal my ~lewk~ that I wore to a DC fashion week event last weekend:






































Velvet dress (wearing as a top) and neck scarf (wearing as a bracelet) by Urban Outfitters. Pants and mesh shirt (similar here) by Zara. Loafer mules by Madewell.

Shall we start with the business portion first? It's not as exciting as the top half, and saving that for last will be way more fun (and the party always comes last, right?). As for the bottom half, I grabbed my cropped trousers from Zara that I could definitely wear on many occasions, including a) a job interview b) Sunday brunch c) my shift at Madewell and d) leaving my room at 3 pm on a Sunday to finally start studying for midterms (they're so comfy!!). I continued the ~business lewk~ by slipping on my newest pair of loafer slides--a method to look both professional and easy at the same time. They've been glued to my feet for the past two weeks, kind of like how the summer version of these shoes were glued to me last summer. Ironically, because slides are the last type of soles that would be impossible to take off (get it? they literally slide off!). Really bad fashion jokes aside, this half of the outfit was a bit too 9-5 for me. So commence the party!

When I think of clothes fit for a party, I obviously think bright colors (think red, cobalt blue, emerald green) and glitter. Maybe heels, too? But if party is looked at in a more subtle, nonchalant manner, it can also mean lush fabrics. Velvet, obviously. Fur (of the faux type, of course). Silk. What about other interesting fabrics that don't necessarily fit into this category? Like mesh, for example. Not exactly "lush," but definitely party-worthy. So I combined the two! Well, velvet and mesh, that is. Layer a mesh, long sleeve top (which, by the way, is such an investment! It can be layered under practically anything on a warm(er) day, and can be worn on its own over a pretty (or not!) bra if you're really ~feeling yourself~) under a boatneck velvet dress that I'm wearing as a shirt for two reasons: the dress with pants look only works on few occasions, and this dress was a bit too short to wear sans trousers. To continue the party, I tied a floral neck scarf around my mesh clad wrist, because using clothing pieces for alternative uses that they weren't actually made for is so much fun! And rebellious. Just like a party.

Some may say these are just clashing styles, others might point out that it's a day-to-night look taken two steps too far. But clashing should be good; that's what fashion's all about--breaking barriers and leaving the :o emoji on people's face. Also, I could easily go dancing after a day of work in this. Maybe if I at least changed the shoes to heels?

No comments:

Post a Comment