4.11.2017

A Case for Denim Shorts: Part I

Suns out, legs out??

I know it's supposed to be suns out, guns out, or even buns out (correct?), but this one seems more appropriate, even if it lacks that fun rhyme.

D.C. has finally been blessed, or cursed, with the heat! This is partially bad news for many reasons: a) my sweat glands hate me b) society wants me to shave and c) turtlenecks are banned from my wardrobe for the next seven months. But there are also many good outcomes of this sunny paradise!! Like a) a surplus of vitamin D b) spending more time outside will scientifically increase my mood and c) I technically don't have to shave because societal norms are silly. And the fashion perks to this weather are even greater! Dresses that resemble Reformation's or & Other Stories' aesthetic (like this one or this one) can finally be worn, sunglasses can be used as both an eye-protector and a hair accessory, and thigh grazing shorts are acceptable!! Well, not at professional work environments and your grandmother's house, but I digress.

Denim cutoffs carry these confidence-boosting qualities that transform them into magical entities. Like how killer heels make you feel so much better, but minus the foot pain. So show off what you've got! And if you're afraid to show that much leg, go on and try it, because spring is about ~trying new things~. Right?

Because the denim shorts thing can be really hard to pull off in a ~fashionable~ manner, I'm doing yet another fashion experiment! How fun! This time, I'm trying a few looks with the same pair of cutoffs--a vintage pair of Levi's I thrifted and cut about four inches shorter to the very top of my thighs. Here's my first take:

When you can't afford to travel to the West Coast and attend Coachella (that lineup!!!) so you just dress like you're going:






















































Shorts by Levi's (thrifted and DIYed). Top and mules by & Other Stories. Tassel cuff by Madewell. Sunglasses by Urban Outfitters. Lipstick by NARS.

I visited the & Other Stories store in its new Georgetown location a few days ago, and my L.A. cool girl dreams came true (and for half the price of Reformation!!). This weather makes me want to immediately fly out to California to pretend to be a surfer even though I'm hopelessly terrible at it and to attend Coachella to see Radiohead for the third time. Unfortunately, my limited funds and time make this an impossible dream (at least I'll be attending Shaky Knees for the fourth time in May!). So why not dress the part! The sun practically forced me to. I decided to purchase this tie-front crop top that reminds me of something Shay Mitchell would wear at the festival; she always has the best style at Coachella (just look at her!!):


Because I wanted to emulate this similar ~care free~ attitude, I decided to pair the top with my DIY Levi's and these suede + heeled mules I also bought at & Other Stories. Definitely not a pair of shoes I would wear to a music festival (I'd immediately swap them for sneakers), but definitely a pair of shoes I'd wear to look like I was ~famous~ at a music festival. Or to look like THE L.A. Cool GirlCourtney Trop, as seen below:



A post shared by Courtney Trop (@alwaysjudging) on


I continued this look by smearing NARS matte lipstick over my lips, something I haven't done in a while but would like to start doing every day this summer. I also dabbed on some Glossier Cloud Paint (in Haze, if you were wondering) to get that classic summer flush that matches my lipstick and my festival ready 'fit. And I already feel like it's June 21st, even though spring just started! It's all in the magic of denim cutoffs, I tell you. Try it for yourself.

Check back on the blog in the next few days for part II of this post.

Photos shot by Maddie.

No comments:

Post a Comment