12.12.2016

What to Wear When: It's Holiday Party Season

But you really don't feel like wearing a cocktail dress or sparkly tights or pumps or, God forbid, anything that will show your hairy winter legs.


Or, in other terms, it's also finals season so your effort to get dressed in the morning has drastically decreased, and this lack of effort also applies to these infamous holiday parties. Let me first ask: why do these parties exist? Sometimes presents are exchanged but other times they are not and they only consist of christmas lights; holiday tunes (or, nowadays, Hamilton??); well-dressed people conversing about their pets, feminism, or the election; and a lot of picture taking (polaroids are a must!). They really are just like any other Dull Adult Party, but a stigma surrounds the huge cluster of them: you have to look your best. Similar to the rules for any other party, but heightened to a certain level that seems almost impossible, and that is romanticized by Instagram because let's face it: no one really looks this good in real life:




Photo from Courtney Trop's Instagram, or the fashion/music blogger in charge of Always Judging

Apart from the ~deep analysis~ of how social media really screws us over for achieving our most desired looks (I've definitely been watching too much Black Mirror (season 3, episode 1, if anyone is interested)), holiday parties are difficult and sometimes more work than it's worth. Kind of like wearing a full face of makeup that you're not even comfortable in -- was it really worth it?

But parties should be fun! It's Christmas (or whichever holiday you celebrate), there shouldn't be this upsetting stigma around the most wonderful time of the year!

I'm here to change that (as I always am with every fashion dilemma I stumble upon). I'll make a fantasy where pants are acceptable and you're allowed to cover both your arms and neck, and you can still reclaim your ~holiday charm~ while most of your body is covered. It's cold!!!

When you've been stress eating because finals so you can't comfortably wear that tight dress, and sweats are the only solution:
































Joggers by Anthropologie. Turtleneck by Asos. Tank by Urban Outfitters (or try this beaded one). Boots by Topshop.
Photos shot by Maddie.

I'd like to make a claim and state that fancy joggers are the definition of 2016. Who knew they even existed? Designers were probably observing the mess that is this year (19 more days until this cursed year is over, btw), and they decided it would be best to make sweatpants acceptable in public, and even in high fashion, because everyone is so over 2016 that we can only reside to sweats to get through the day. So commence the fancy sweats! Maybe try silk ones, or chiffon, or even velvet, a.k.a. the fabric of this year. Velvet seems so fitting for a holiday party! The holiday party I attended in 2015 incorporated me wearing a velvet turtleneck LBD, shown here:

                             
                              Photo from my personal Instagram (follow it along with @fracturedaesthetic if you'd like!).

which seems more suitable than sweatpants, of all clothing items, but I decided it was time to switch things up and stay true to the inner comfort in me. So I slipped on my new pair of velvet joggers that literally feel like pajamas (my writing professor even asked me if I ever forgot to take them off before going to bed), and felt, well, unready to attend a party. But that doesn't mean I didn't look the part! Something about velvet fixes every conflict -- how can it not when it literally feels like a cloud? I squeezed on a tight black turtleneck because this seems to always be part of my outfit template when it gets cold outside, and to ~fancify~ it I layered a red eyelet tank to give a shout out to Christmas with half of the holiday colors and to add unnecessary layers that seem to go along with the party season. I finished the look with black ankle boots, gold heel and all, to make yet another shoutout to the holiday but to also make sweats even more sophisticated. Looks like it worked, and I didn't even actually wear this to a holiday party. Hopefully it will come to good use when (if??) I go to one in the next 13 days. Maybe New Year's??

When your Levi's have been glued to your body and you can't seem to peel them off just to go to a holiday party:


A photo posted by natalie (@nataliegeisel) on
Top by Zara (or try this other Zara blouse). Turtleneck by Asos . Levi's jeans by Anthropologie. Bracelet by Madewell.
Photo from my personal Instagram.

Ever since I bought my first pair of Levi's two weeks ago they have been literally stuck on my body, like they're the only saving grace I have to get me through the rest of this semester. So how does one go about when their obsession with their new jeans has not yet died, but they have a party to attend at 9?
Keep
Them
On.
I'm creating a world where pants are acceptable at holiday parties, remember? Just like the previous outfit, I opted for a skintight turtleneck because it's cold and it seems to be the best base layer for events like this. I did the unnecessary layering thing again but instead went for an even more extra top to make up up for the casual jeans, and as for the shoes? You can use your imagination here because they're obviously not shown in the above picture (where I actually attended a holiday party!). The above boots that I wore with the joggers would work perfectly here, but also these clogs with these socks would work just as well. 

Or we could throw all of these ideas away and just wear tacky holiday sweaters. Is that too overdone?


No comments:

Post a Comment