12.08.2016

A Gift Giving Guide

from Vogue Brazil 2013


We're now a week into December, so it's official -- the holiday's are here. Is this post-Thanksgiving funk over yet?

It sure feels like it!

I've been playing Horchata on repeat since last Tuesday turned into Wednesday.

Well, after my two papers and one final (which will be over one week from now!!), the holiday lights will finally turn on and my mind will only be wrapped in tinsel and the anxiety of miserably failing to choose gifts that my family will actually enjoy. The one negativity of this wonderful, wonderful season. Everyone has their flaws: always late to everything, never remembers to refill the Brita, always orders the most expensive thing at a restaurant, etc. Mine happens to be gift giving.

Am I alone in this?

That can't be possible -- everyone nowadays is desperate for the perfect gift and our tastes have increased to new levels that could never match what our loved ones could even perceive in the art of gift giving. I happen to be one of those whose taste cannot translate to other people's ideas in gifts; I am part of the problem. Some years I only ask for a sum of money because I just know that I will never be satisfied with what others will get for me, no matter how much effort and love is put into the said presents. How screwed is that???

To solve this dilemma, I will map out a sort of guide to help those in need. I may be terrible at giving, but I'm damn good at knowing what I want, so we'll use my own preferences to provide some suggestions for both giving and including on your Christmas (or other holiday) list. Yes, the holidays are not only about gifts, I know, but it can make this season so much fun, especially when fashion is involved.

Every year for as long as I can remember, I've compiled a list that mainly revolves around clothing, because I'm the kind of girl who would rather have a coat that'll last me six years rather than a cat calendar that will hide in my desk for six years. Speaking of coats, let's talk about those for a quick second:

This one from Madewell seems like it'll hit two birds with one stone: keep me warm and make my '80s androgyny dreams come true, but Zara really knows how to do something similar and for cheaper (but coats are all about investing!! choose the one that will last longer!!!). Or drop the traditional coat silhouette completely and try this faux-fur lined denim one from Urban Outfitters that just screams cool. This holiday mean a new year, and the new year means to try new things. Go crazy!



  
While we're on the topic of investments, shoes are a significant factor. Go practical with these or impractical with these (who says impractical is a bad thing) if ankle boots are your thing, try these jacquard heels with socks like these, or if you're feeling risky and really generous go for these. Remember: we can't necessarily survive without shoes, these are important.

          



Investments are $$$, so maybe try a few things that won't drain your bank account but still won't disappoint: a sweater for your arms, a sweater for your thighs, or this shiny dress that will lighten up your entire life.

                              


Now onto items that are actually gift-able! The vast majority of us are broke (or also college students, an added plus), so let's think small -- jewelry, socks, or any other accessories. Socks are not preferred, but look at these glitter ones!! It's cooold and this scarf seems to do the trick (also 25% off at UO!!). Or maybe try this bracelet to make a ~subtle~ statement this holiday (maybe cuffed over a long sleeved turtleneck?).
       


Maybe fashion isn't your thing -- the only person who can give the best fashion-related gifts is yourself (I too have this mindset). So what about this makeup set for the beauty-oriented, this Wes Anderson coffee-table book for the pop culture oriented, your favorite album on vinyl for the music lovers, or a grilled cheese toaster, because why the hell not.

          


Or we come full circle and just ask for money. Gift-giving is hard.

Click on each image to view the products.



No comments:

Post a Comment