1.17.2017

Tissue Turtleneck Three Ways: Phase I

It's the season of the turtleneck.

A few facts about me: I'm an avid film lover, I'm the type of person to wait 10 hours just to be front row for my favorite band, and my favorite article of clothing for the past three years has been the turtleneck. Will the last statement ever change, you ask? Probably not. They're ~*~magical~*~. Like the wool inside your cocoon coat that keeps you warm, like the embroidery on those new floral ankle boots that everyone now seems to own, like the perfect pair of jeans you can't seem to unglue from your unwilling legs.

Necessary, embellishing, and reliable. What more could anyone want?

Due to my undying love for the amazing neck-protectors, I decided to take on a little ~fashion challenge~. How exciting! Especially during the weeks around the dreaded inauguration, a mini endeavor into how I can wear turtlenecks can brighten up the depressing time ahead of us. And to make this time even brighter, I'm using J. Crew's tissue turtlenecks, which I used to own one of and now own three!!! I'm such a fan of these that I could practically be a salesperson for just the turtlenecks; I rave about them daily to my friends who most definitely do not care. They're a) super soft b) thin enough to fit under any article of clothing (sweaters! button-up dresses! slip tops!) and c) come in practically every color of the rainbow, plus more. They make layering so much easier (and more fun! who wouldn't want to layer a hot pink turtleneck under a black checkered dress?!), so I suggest purchasing at least three in both neutral and bright shades.

For this fashion challenge, I'm going to wear all three in completely different ways to prove the endless wonders of the tissue turtleneck. Here's phase I:



































Top by Zara (similar here). Jeans by Madewell. Boots by Topshop.






In the first step of my endeavor, I wanted to use the turtleneck to simply embellish an existing outfit that could stand alone without the neck-protector, but at the same time could really use the rust-tinted neck to add a pop of color (and little warmth!). To simply add a turtleneck to a look that doesn't technically need one, reach for a long-sleeved blouse, preferably high-collared and Victorian, layer that over a turtleneck of your choosing (this orange one seems pretty fitting), roll your sleeves to show off that turtleneck a bit more, and slide on a pair of pants -- any will work, but I grabbed these wide-leg denim ones that work better in warmer temps but seem to work just fine with a covered neck and ankle boots (gold heel optional). My first attempt at the Tissue Turtleneck Challenge™ showcases how turtlenecks can add a pop of color, a pop of warmth, and really just a pop of cool, if you define cool to be something that can help on so many different levels and add some stylish flare to your outfit.

Check back in the next few weeks for the other two phases of my turtleneck adventure, and maybe, just maybe, you'll hop on the turtleneck train (if you haven't already).


Photos shot by Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment