5.05.2016

The Lazy Girl's Guide to Fashion

About a week ago, I was driving through my neighborhood to get home after school and I noticed something was missing. The flowers were gone. Vanished. Poof. Is it summer already? Please tell me it's not summer yet

It's only the beginning of May. Why were the flowers replaced with bright green leaves that only scream 90 degrees of misery? 

This sad transition unfortunately informed me that yes, summer is coming. And with summer comes heat and laziness and procrastination (and an excess amount of sweat) in all aspects. Yes, that also includes fashion. 

A few weeks ago I brought up the point that the less is more theory is, in fact, not a myth. I wore a minimal amount of added clothing to prove a point, but now I'm doing the same only because I'm actually that lazy. The fashion version of senioritis (which, once again, is not a myth) is finally inflicting me.













































I'm wearing this really cool Anthropologie jumpsuit that I would have never worn a year ago when I was first introduced to jumpsuits. A cropped flare jumpsuit with a complex pattern that looks like it came straight out of Jackie Burkhart's closet or a worse alternative, off of John Travolta circa Saturday Night Fever? I would never. Well, now I am. The '70s are kind of gone but this jumpsuit doesn't agree, so I guess they're sticking with me for a while longer. And best of all, this oddly unique piece created my entire outfit. In under two minutes, actually. One minute was reserved for attempting to tie the bow on the back of the jumpsuit (that hasn't been shown yet) with only the help of my hands. 


The heat outside makes it really difficult to keep up with your personal style (I'd rather not wear sundresses every single day), but this magical jumpsuit works with both the heat and personal style factor. It reveals a bit of skin in the back to a) follow that trendy cut-out style and b) to give your usually sweaty back some breeze. And I'd say that the cropped flares exist just to fit in with the trend but actually they freed my legs from the confinements of high temperatures. Basically, this jumpsuit has everything. Pockets included.

My former self used to believe that basics are all you need to thrive in fashion and it just depends on how you use them in unique ways, but when it's humid and 87 degrees and you feel tiny droplets of sweat streaming down your back and thighs you can't just keep working with multiple layers because it's just that hot. This is your chance to save up and buy new investment pieces. Not items that you can wear in 5,297 different ways (except how great would that be?!), but pieces that are out-there. Maybe you can only wear them once every two months but it's reassuring to know those items exist in your closet, because they can save you when your seasonal disease of lazy kicks in, you have a backup plan that does not consist of Nike running shorts. Get a few things -- a jumpsuit (not from the simple category), a dress that is more than a simple shift one (like this, maybe?), a skirt with varying dimensions like this. Wear these alone or with simplistic items that require no effort (a white t-shirt with that Zara skirt, maybe?) to get that put-together look with a lazy girl attitude. The best part is this: no one can see past the insanely cool item to see your true, indolent motives.

Jumpsuit by Anthropologie. Bomber by Brandy Melville (other satin bomber here). Shoes by Topshop (or try these).

No comments:

Post a Comment