5.31.2016

Grad Party Season (or really, any party season)

A few updates:

It's my birthday!! I'm 18!! A legal adult!!!! But that's beside the point. Here are a few other points of interest:

I'm officially a high school graduate!!!!

If you haven't noticed yet, a lot has happened in the past few days. So much that I need to sleep for 40+ hours to catch up with the sleep I've been missing. Why, you ask?

Grad parties. 21 of them in the span of four days. That's not me using some big number that seems quite impossible to exaggerate the amount of parties I went to. That number is real, an actual truth. I'm not sure if this is applicable to anyone who is not a high school graduate (or just someone who has a lot of friends or family who are recent high school graduates). Are there other "party seasons"? Do 20-somethings to 30-somethings get invited to all of their friends' weddings in the span of four days? I don't think so. Maybe a month, at the least? And do all of these happen in the summer? Because all of these factors do play into the idea of grad party season. Here are the conditions:
                                                                           
a) They take place in the summer. And outside (usually). So sweat and a hot sun will be involved.
b) There is unlimited free food. Kind of like weddings, but always buffet style, so sometimes you'll accidentally have nine meals in one day (one meal per party, right?)
c) People will be dressed nice in a casual way. Does that make sense? No cocktail dresses, but no shorts and t-shirts. Also, too many wedges.
d) You will be party-hopping all day if you plan on attending every single grad party you got an invite to. And people you've talked to only once will weirdly invite you to theirs so be prepared to either a) have extremely awkward conversations at said party or b) not attend them.

All these combine to make one sweaty, full (in the food sense), and exhausted mess. While wearing dresses. Why would anyone want to suffer through this? Well, free food, but it's also grad season so everyone is emotional about their friends (or even just acquaintances) going across the country or even out of the country to embark on their new journey of college. We're showing our support. But to get to my actual point: the hardest feat of this season is what to wear to these. Do we have to have a separate outfit for every party? If so, how is it physically possible to go to nine parties in one day and change between every party? Do I even own 21 nice outfits? Do I have to wear heels or wedges? No, it is definitely an impossible task, no, and no. You pick an outfit for each of the days you have to attend grad parties, which will probably span from one to five days, at the most. You can wear the same shoes every day, and they do not have to be wedges or heels. They could be flatforms, clogs, espadrilles, even sneakers. And you don't have to wear a traditional dress every day. Play with cuts, lengths, try a skirt, even add pants to the mix (in the romper/jumpsuit sense).


Dress by J. Crew. Clogs by Sandro Rosi (from Anthropologie). Choker by Asos (similar here). Sunglasses by Madewell.

The first day I attended four grad parties, starting from noon all the way to 10:00. I opted for a comfortable but unique route (am I still allowed to call off-the-shoulder pieces unique?) with this dress from J. Crew. I made the outfit more party-centric instead of fit for a day at the museum by exchanging the bandana choker with an actual chain choker and flat sandals for studded clogs. My sunglasses continued to either sit on the top of my head or over my eyes for the rest of the day because, as I said before, grad parties are usually outside. These, along with my clogs, stuck with me for the next two days. I also brought a little-makeup look all three days because, to be honest, I would sweat it all off anyways. I call this my "I still like to dress up for these parties but it's SUMMER so let me show off my shoulders not worry about a defined waist" look. Free food, remember?

A photo posted by Natalie Geisel (@fracturedaesthetic) on

Jumpsuit by Anthropologie

On day two I never officially documented the outfit but I posted a mirror selfie on Instagram and took some photos with my fellow graduate friends at one of the nine parties I attended (my Instagram caption says eight but it somehow became nine). Because I was at nine parties from 11 a.m. to, well, the next day (some last all night...), I wanted to go a practical route. No time to go home and change, and an extreme desire to sit on the rug of someone's living room because standing for hours in clogs is not my kind of fun. So a jumpsuit worked perfectly for this occasion. My one from Anthropologie that I wore a few weeks ago to fix the lazy girl's dilemma in fashion also fixed my dilemma of having to go to an insane number of parties. It was still formal enough for such occasions, and the thin fabric and cutouts on my back (it's like the designer knew I always sweat the most there) ensured that I would not combust into flames. I like to call this my "I think the '70s are still in" look, which is completely irrelevant to grad parties but it did create a conversation starter at each party I attended. A much needed factor considering that you're bound to be forced to talk to that one kid who sat next to you in AP stats for more than ten seconds at one of the parties.


Romper by Madewell.

On day three I was going off of two hours of sleep and had to prepare for my own grad party then continue to go to three other grad parties. Because of my zombie-esque mood (literally), I went for the simplest route of all -- a romper. Kind of like a jumpsuit, but my legs are now exposed so they can breathe and it's just like wearing shorts but nicer and easier. What's not to love? I chose one with ruffled sleeves and polka dots to end my grad party season with a bang and because SUMMER (a valid excuse for any outfit worn from May to August). I then wore this to my last party of the season, which happened to be black&white themed, which I didn't even plan for until I was on my way to said party. And then I came home, exhausted, full of chocolate from that chocolate fountain at the last party, but proud of the amazing feat I accomplished -- being able to keep up with my personal style while attending 21 parties. 

Day one photos taken by my sister, Kendall. Day two photos taken by either me or the photographer at party. Day three photos taken by me (with the self-timer/tripod photo station I set up at my party).


No comments:

Post a Comment