2.17.2016

Street Style: NYFW Edition (And a Lesson in Street Style Photography)

I am obviously a writer, but I'm also a photographer -- how else would my photos on here be shot? So I used both skills to create the ultimate (and oh-so typical) post: NYFW street style, including my own photos, unlike this one or this one. Now I feel like a non-poser, a real street style photographer! Except I didn't have a lens the size of my head (even though my 50 mm lens is deceivingly wonderful) or I didn't force some clueless guy from Vancouver to move because he was in my shot, and yes, that last part actually happened (poor dude). I was nervous at first to take street style photos because I thought you actually had to ask the street-style stars during fashion week (in other times of the year, it's a must), but during FW, all you have to do is gravitate towards all the other photographers and shoot a hundred photos of the same person, hoping that at least one of them doesn't have a random photo-bomber or a huge lens in the corner of the shot. I wished I was on the other side of the camera, but I was lacking that it-accessory or those unique shoes with gold heels or, sadly, confidence.
Here's the street style that represented impeccable fashion sense and how to dress for the cold (or how to not dress for the cold...):


These two girls were killing it with their coordinated outfits (twin goals!! er, BFF goals??). Both blonde, both have old-fashioned Tommy shirts on, both wearing short fur coats (that I really want) and straight-leg dark wash jeans, and both look flawlessly cool. The ultimate takeaway is if you coordinate with your BFF, you'll double the cool-factor, it's inevitable (have you seen the Olsen twins lately?).




More BFF goals, but this time they're just really-well dressed, with only their jeans matching. Unfortunately for the girl with the huge scarf-blanket-thing, the other is the one who got the photographer to force the Vancouver-guy to move over because she's the star (I heard her saying "They love me!" multiple times). Maybe it's those boots (those gold heels are so dreamy) or the fur sleeves on her coat, but I noticed one thing -- she's staying in-style and warm, which many fail to do.


All I can say about this one: I need a blue (or any other vibrant color), shaggy fur coat in my life. Also, she just got handed a Cosmo sign to hold for one of their photographers, so she must be dressed well.

This look has to be my favorite, plus I also feel really creepy because I just found her on Instagram (@alexcloset) while I was scrolling through the explore page, and I had no idea who she was until I saw her face and it was kind of weird but kind of cool... Anyways, she knows how to rock track-pants, a black turtleneck, an oversized (and vintage?) Adidas bomber with silver-toed stilettos, how is that even possible? We'll call her... the sophisticated athlete. Also, I really really need that bomber, or something like it. I searched last night for hours and failed miserably.


I guess she thought it'd be cool to pose right next to a steaming manhole, so photographers continued to swarm around her (including me) because this is so NYC. I also found her on Instagram (@asos_alice) by scrolling through my feed and seeing the exact same moment, then I realized shortly after that I had been following her for a month or so and I didn't know what her face looked like until now (this might be even weirder than the above situation). She's the only one who looks really cold (her sleeves are rolled up in 20 degrees...), but she knows how to work the knee-high heeled boots and slitted maxi. Who knew you could wear a cotton maxi in the winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment