9.03.2015

Black Denim

I'm literally that person who will not shut up about her favorite band, but that favorite band is denim for me. Denim has gotten me through many fashion mishaps and dull outfits, and its unique nature has been able to add a lot of variety to my wardrobe. However, I look at how I've worn denim in the past, and it's been pretty similar. I usually stick to a light wash, and this includes everything from jeans to jackets and even to skirts and dresses. Then, I start to realize that the most diverse (at least for me) ways to wear denim is one of the simplest tricks in the book -- step outside the "blue" denim zone. I've stuck to this traditional type of denim my entire life (except for that one time in 6th grade I bought purple skinny jeans...), and there's far more than this color. Opting for something besides blue denim doesn't have to mean wearing the brightest pair of jeans you can find. It just means wearing the fabric in any other color besides blue. This ranges from black to white and everything else in between. The color black in denim is something that I've always been hesitant to try. My wardrobe is full of black, but I've never once had this color in a denim form. I love denim, I love black, but I've never loved the combination of the two. In the past, the combination of black and denim had a connotation of only being worn by the "scene kids" -- not that I have anything against people who listen to MCR, but this weird and unconscious bias of mine was made when I was in my judgmental phase in middle school. Because of this, I strayed away from black jeans, maybe because my older sister always wore them when she was in high school (being influenced by your sibling's fashion choices could mean that you did the opposite of them...).

Jeans by American Eagle. Top by Anthropologie. Shoes by Adidas.
Photos taken by me (if you couldn't tell, I'm starting to use my higher quality Canon camera)

Now, as I got less judgmental with fashion choices and saw more and more people rocking the black skinnies again, I saw that the jeans were a fashionable alternative to the traditional blue denim we usually see in jeans. Even with all of this, I was still hesitant to try them out. Black denim is edgier than most of my style, and I'm also not a huge fan of jeans (especially in the summer). But as summer starts to fade away and my fashion-mind is more open than ever, I decided to try them. This is also pretty different to my normal style because the jeans were skinny (like cling to your legs skinny), and I usually wear a looser fit, like boyfriend jeans, because of my hatred towards the way most jeans fit me. But, because I was already trying new things, I decided that the skinny nature wouldn't stop me. They happened to be more comfortable than most skinny jeans that I've worn in the past, and the few holes that they had fit into my own style more. Because I was going for a simpler look, I paired the jeans with my blue-striped tank from Anthropologie and my Adidas sneakers, which happened to look amazing with the skinnies (I don't think any of my other shoes would have worked with this outfit). These were definitely an edgier style for me, but I love trying new things in fashion because that's the only way my style can evolve. Black denim is perfect for this transition of seasons, even if it's still 85 degrees every day where I live. I'm excited to continue wearing black denim into the colder months because those seasons are the best times to experiment with fashion (Layering over black denim? That sounds like a fashionista's dream).

1 comment:

  1. Nice

    FOLLOW my Blog!!! Maybe we can follow each other!!!
    http://rimanerenellamemoria.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete