4.13.2015

Trend of the Week: Florals





This is such an obvious spring trend, but it felt necessary to write about after wearing this fun dress from Topshop. Florals will always be in style, even in the winter, so discussions about this trend are always changing. Honestly, I'm not the biggest floral fan myself (sometimes it's too feminine for my style), and this is a dress I usually wouldn't wear, so I'm going to explain how to make the floral pattern less over-the-top with a few tips. Florals are going to be everywhere this spring, so is there a way to make the pattern unique? That's the question I asked myself before creating this outfit, and I decided to take things I usually do with my outfits and add it to this dress to lessen the femininity and make it more like my style. As you probably know already, I'm obsessed with tying shirts/jackets around my waist. It's convenient but also makes a dull outfit more interesting (and who doesn't love this classic '90s trend?). I've talked about it thousands of times on this blog, but today, I felt like it was really needed with the dress. The dress is already so bright, so to lessen the colors, I tied a simple black and grey pinstriped shirt around my waist to contrast with the poppy colors and to add one of my signature looks to a dress that isn't really my style. (Side note: the dress is actually my sister's, so no, I did not waste money on a dress that I wouldn't usually wear. But hey, I figured out how to make it my style today!). To add edge to the outfit, I wore my black cut-out booties (as always) to complete the outfit. Also, I made the look more my style by wearing wine lips (specifically Bite lipstick in mulberry), because what is a true Natalie look without a bold lip? This season, I hope to see more people trying out florals in different ways. It's such an overused trend that will never fade, so it would be nice to see it in unique styles. All I did today was add basics that I always wear to lessen the extreme of the floral pattern, but there are probably thousands of other ways to make floral more interesting. Maybe to add a layer jacket over a floral top, or to add a chunky sweater to a floral skirt. The possibilities are endless, and I'll be sure to dig out my floral items and create more unique looks with them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment