1.11.2018

An '80s Summer Revival is Upon Us

All thanks to popular queer cinema.


Call Me by Your Name (2017)

Ever since November of 2016, I've been dreaming of summer. Yep. Almost 14 months of longing for a season that only lasts three months, meaning I've been thinking about summer for the span of almost five summers. Now that's depressing. But, according to popular media, the thousands of IG photos set in LA or Barcelona that praise summer, and the satisfaction most of us seem to get by wearing minimal clothing, it seems like I'm not the only one. My 16 and 17-year-old self would be laughing right now. I used to hate this season, but now, in the midst of winter, all I want is summer.

The appeal hit me in November of 2016, as I said above, when I watched "San Junipero" for the first time. If you haven't heard of it, where have you been? But I'll still explain: it's an episode of Black Mirror set in a beach town in the '80s filled with '80s music, a queer love story that doesn't end in tragedy, and summer looks that make me dream of the season for 14 months straight. First step: if you haven't already, watch this now. Go. Don't even finish reading this blog post; go watch it then return 61 minutes of cinematic genius later.

San Junipero (2016)

Did you watch it? Good. Now back to my point. You understand why all of it is so, in the simplest of words, enamoring? All I want to do is fall in love wearing breezy summer clothes, but only in the '80s. No other decade will suffice. Maybe this is why the runway is heavily pulling from this decade, bringing back the power suit and shoulder pads because nostalgia is just that powerful. Nostalgia sells! And maybe this is also why other cinematic pieces are also following this '80s summer trend—enter my other favorite queer love story, Call Me by Your Name, the film I've watched three times in the past three weeks and read twice in the past two weeks. Take everything from "San Junipero," switch genders, and amplify it all. "San Junipero" makes me want to fall in love in the summer in the '80s, but Call Me by Your Name makes me feel like I am falling in love in the summer in the '80s. Since this one's a bit longer (especially if you read the book), I'm not going to make you stop reading this post and watch it, but if you haven't yet, go buy tickets ASAP or spend the next day reading it before going out to see it.

Call Me by Your Name (2017)

It not only portrays the feelings of endless desire and selfless love in the span of one summer oh-so-perfectly, but it also holds a few of my favorite things: the scenery of Northern Italy; a mix of '80s hits, entrancing piano pieces, and heart-wrenching Sufjan Stevens songs; and a style that can be summed up by the word billowy, a term used in the novel to describe one of Oliver's (Armie Hammer) shirts. "San Junipero" made me dream of summer, but Call Me by Your Name made me long for it as I felt what summer should feel like in the 2 hours and 12 minutes it takes to watch the movie. So ever since watching the two, I've constantly been re-watching them, desiring that same bubbly feeling that I get that could only be a product of an '80s summer love story. Gay, that is (sorry, straight storylines, we've had enough of you).

Because I can't go on for years just re-watching these two pieces, I might as well find a way to make the hazy '80s summer last in some way. Finding the love of my life in the span of a short summer isn't necessarily feasible, so what about only listening to '80s music? That's a bit too much. What about moving to Northern Italy? A bit too random, at least right now. Maybe simply pull inspiration from the styles of each piece? There we go. Instead of just following typical '80s trends, these pieces seem to find the best, most refreshing ones, and while I can't wear practically nothing in below freezing weather, I can at least dream of wearing them when temps rise in the spring.

San Junipero (2016)

Bermuda shorts have never looked so good! I think I'll ditch my DIY cut-offs that I cut three inches too short and opt for some khaki bermudas. Oversized striped tee recommended, shoes optional.

San Junipero (2016).

And when the beachy breezes of the night hit, slip on a denim jacket. Fake glasses also optional.

Call Me by Your Name (2017)

Speaking of denim jackets, make double denim an '80s summer dream by pairing light-wash Levi's with a breezy striped button-down and a cuffed jean jacket.

Call Me by Your Name (2017)

And now that I mention stripes, why don't you just wear stripes 24/7? Maybe in the form of a Lacoste polo paired with denim, or instead in the form of a button-down shirt that's only buttoned twice with khakis. The key to flirting is to purposefully match with your crush but play it off like it was an accident, because stripes are so in right now.

Call Me by Your Name (2017)

Summer implies that almost-outfit-repeating is completely acceptable, making it possible to wear that same breezy button-down over and over again but this time, with even less buttons done and with a bathing suit that also acts as really short shorts. If you want a change, wear the same shorts you wore while swimming earlier that day and pair it with your favorite band tee (bonus points if your favorite band tee is a Talking Heads one, like Elio's (Timothée Chalamet)).

San Junipero (2016)

The bermudas are back! Instead of wearing a mostly undone button-down like Oliver, only leave the top button undone and tuck it into belted shorts. Pair it with a (you guessed it) denim jacket to lessen that business-professional vibe.

Call Me by Your Name (2017)

Here's billowy! Wear your best-dressed button-down with belted trousers on your first day of summer, but make sure to still leave most of the buttons undone to show off some skin or your jewelry. It's summer, remember? Also, make sure the shirt you wear when meeting your future soulmate is a good one, because...

Call Me by Your Name (2017)

...he'll ask to keep it when the summer comes to a close and decide to wear it everyday you're apart. Two birds with one stone: sustainable fashion and holding on to a lost love through their most personal possessions.

Call Me by Your Name (2017)

And when summer's gone, exchange the bathing suit for wool trousers and the summer button-down for a winter one layered over a turtleneck, because summer doesn't last forever and it just got really fucking cold.

What I've come to realize is that the sunny season is a dream-like state, which is what makes it so enticing, and these two pieces of cinema somehow translate summer to literally and figuratively feel like a never-ending dream that's fueled by love. How romantic! If only we could live in summer forever, but instead, responsibilities and negative temperatures face us. I'll be counting down the days: 161 more days until I can live in a dream again.

Call Me by Your Name (2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment