9.26.2016

In Limbo pt. II

The transition of seasons always calls for the purgatory period, the, what I like to call, in limbo period.

I've discussed this before (that's why this is the second part!!). Something about familiarity is so appealing to me right now, and maybe this is why seasonal transitions are my favorite time of the year. Every time the leaves change color or when they begin to fall, or when the flowers start blooming, or when those flowers transform into green, a common theme is found in fashion. A need to alter what we were doing for the past few months with our clothes and actually pay attention to the changes happening around us. And now we've come full circle! The leaves are starting to change color! Maybe they haven't hit this stage completely, but the four-season calendar tells us otherwise. So it's time to put pants on! Maybe a sweater or two. Pull out the knee highs and chelsea boots and, wait a second, are turtlenecks acceptable yet?

The sweat dripping down your forehead tells us these are not things we would willingly do. Yes, we'll still do it for the ~fall aesthetic~ but coercion is not something I like to do when I dress myself in the morning. I hope you feel the same way. So how exactly do we deal with this uncomfortable purgatory?

Jeans by Madewell. Slip dress (worn as a top) by Urban Outfitters. Neck scarf from Urban Outfitters. Sandals by Topshop (try a more out-there alternative here). Bag by J. Crew. Sunglasses by Madewell. 

Pants can still be worn if we widen the hem to a foot instead of three inches. Cooler weather tones (think dark!) can be seen in items meant to be worn in warmer weather. And accessories that we love to utilize in this season can still be worn -- just think light. I followed these rules exactly to create what you see above. I bought these Madewell wide-leg jeans a few weeks ago that somewhat represent gauchos, but I like to call them culottes to sound more ~fashionable~. As I purchased these, I immediately saw myself on the first day of fall, wearing them with some sort of tank and gladiator sandals. And here I am, one month later, making my outfit dreams come true. I chose my slip dress as my tank because it felt easy (the laziness from summer is still dragging along like a lost puppy) and something about silk and lace is so appealing right now. My neck scarf did a very fall thing -- it kept my neck warm!! But the sweat soaking through the scarf made me realize I did not need that warmth. My autumn-induced mood dismissed this discomfort and realized that fashion is pain. And that fall is finally here.

Photo taken by Maddie, near the Georgetown Waterfront.


No comments:

Post a Comment