12.30.2016

Winter Whites

Let's throw that pre-Memorial Day/post-Labor Day rule in the trash.

Because why should we have to follow fashion guidelines that make absolutely no sense??

I mean, I wouldn't wear flip flops in 30 degrees or wear or a merino wool turtleneck at a beach but that's just common sense, rules we follow to make our bodies comfortable depending on seasonal conditions. What I like to call necessary fashion rules. Unless you have a strange desire to freeze your ass off.

Then there's the other category of fashion rules that I hate focusing my energy on -- rules that were invented decades to centuries ago that are probably rooted in misogyny and myths that hold zero truth. For example: why, exactly, can't socks be paired with open-toed shoes? I feel that this method is a way for fashionistas to add something interesting to the mix, or simply to keep our feet warm because we really want to wear our spring clogs come December.

The same goes for white pants, the oldest fashion rule that only people who actually aren't involved in fashion care about. Ironic, yes? I've been going through a strange funk (which will be discussed on the blog in the next few days) that's rooted in boredom and being reminded of my teenage angst from being home for break, and I've come to realize in the past that the only way to get out of funks is to, well, wait it out. But immersing yourself in fashion makes these funks so much bearable! Shopping for a new wardrobe will usually do the trick, or even better, intentionally breaking the above fashion rules I discussed. Just like breaking the patriarchy, this is a really fun task.
































Top by Zara (or try this one from Zara). Pants by Mango (similar ones by Madewell). Glitter socks and sunglasses by Urban Outfitters. Shoes by Adidas. 

Unlike some people, I'm not going to spend a paragraph discussing the ~right~ way to break this rule. That's like adding more rules to a rule you're attempting to eliminate, and that goes against all rebellion involved in my master plan. Breaking one rule should imply breaking all the rules you wish to be broken. Go ahead, wear what you want! Wearing white pants alone in December is already breaking a so-called rule, but wearing these with white shoes (of all the shoes I brought home for break!!) breaks yet another rule, and so on. Instead, wear something that you've been dying to wear for ages but you never had the guts to do so. Like, a pirate-esque (or clown-esque -- you decide) top, funky sleeves and ruffled collar included, and glitter socks to add a little color (and fun) in a neutral outfit. These socks immediately make me want to attend a party, which will unfortunately not be happening tomorrow night because instead I'll be working. This lack of New Year's celebration almost forces me to wear these socks to both make my outfit look cool as hell and to be in party mode when I actually cannot attend one. I'm even wearing sunglasses in the winter!! For some odd reason this is not common, even though the sun is out year-round. Something I will never come to understand, just like not being able to wear white pants in a season that is associated with snow. 

You can now call yourself a rule-breaker. Feels good, doesn't it?

Photos taken at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta.

twitter | instagram | facebook | tumblr | bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment