4.22.2015

Trend of the Week: Spring Neutrals







Practically everyone has been talking about it this season -- ditch the bright spring colors and opt for more basic and neutral schemes. I’m a huge fan of this idea because I know for a fact that many bold colors don’t necessarily flatter everyone, including me. For example, the only bright colors that really look good on me (in my opinion) are blue and pink, so the overrated spring color trend doesn’t exactly work for me. Also, this new color scheme is completely unexpected. Winter is for neutrals, and spring/summer is for bright colors. I have now discovered that neutrals are year-round, it’s just the little things that differentiate these colors from season to season. As you may already know, I did dark and cool neutrals this January (which you can find here), and that is the exact way to style neutrals for the winter. Spring is the complete opposite -- light and warm neutrals. The only thing breaking that rule in this outfit is my chambray top (it’s cool), but it’s such a light shade that it fits in perfectly with the rest of the outfit. I achieved this look by taking my white skirt from Loft (that I can finally wear without being judged due to Spring) and pairing it with a pale pink top from Urban Outfitters that is so light it almost looks white like the skirt. The similar colors create a pseudo monochrome look, which is also definitely in this season. To add a touch of color, I layered my favorite chambray shirt over the outfit. Honestly, I would have worn chunky white sandals with this outfit to continue the color scheme, but unfortunately, all of the shoes I own are dark. However, the single touch of black adds emphasis and contrast to the outfit that ended up working perfectly. Outfits can also have the principles of design, just like art. And even my almost platinum hair matched with the light neutrals in this outfit! 

For hair and makeup today, I created beach waves with my flat iron (my favorite thing to do, probably). I then wore an extremely natural face (only mascara, no eyeshadow!) and wore my bright pink lipstick to also add emphasis to the neutral outfit. 

The simplicity of this color scheme is going to be all over stores pretty soon, so I would suggest in investing in lighter neutrals to add to your closet. The best part about them is that they match with everything if you do decide to find a bold color to wear this Spring. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice outfit I like that top
    xx
    Pauli
    http://outftip.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete